The husband of Nigella Lawson, Charles Saatchi, has admitted that he did assault the TV Chef.
The art collector accepted a caution for assault after spending five hours at Charing Cross police station.
A Met spokesman said: “Officers from the Community Safety Unit at Westminster were aware of the Sunday People article which was published on 16 June and carried out an investigation.
“This afternoon a 70-year-old man voluntarily attended a Central London police station and accepted a caution for assault.”
Earlier today he insisted he had not meant to hurt Nigella and said the throat-grabbing was a “playful tiff”
Saatchi said: “About a week ago, we were sitting outside a restaurant having an intense debate about the children, and I held Nigella’s neck repeatedly while attempting to emphasise my point.
“There was no grip, it was a playful tiff. The pictures are horrific but give a far more drastic and violent impression of what took place. Nigella’s tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt.
“We had made up by the time we were home. The paparazzi were congregated outside our house after the story broke yesterday morning, so I told Nigella to take the kids off till the dust settled.”
Nigella, who married Charles in September 2013, left the family home with son Bruno on Sunday.