Nick Pollard Quits Sky News

Nick Pollard, is quitting Sky News, after 10 years as the head of the channel.

Nick will be leaving in July 2006 and will be replaced by the executive Editor, John Ryley.

Apparently, Sources at Sky News have told the MediaGuardian that James Murdoch, the chief executive of BSkyB, wants to make cuts, Pollard was resistant to the cuts. The sources said, when considering the reasons for Mr Pollard’s departure, this should be given more weight than the shaky relaunch.

Mr Pollard said: “Being Head of Sky News is, in my view, the best job in broadcast journalism and I have had a fantastic ten years doing it. We have won numerous awards for our coverage of the momentous stories that have marked this past decade and have been responsible for every significant innovation within our industry. I am enormously proud of what we have achieved.”

Dawn Airey, Sky’s Managing Director, Channels and Services, added: “Guided by his wisdom, tenaciousness and energy, Sky News has established itself as a world-class 24-hour news service. I’m extremely proud of Nick’s achievements but I understand and respect his decision that after ten years of 6am starts, he has decided to take a break and seek new challenges.”

James Murdoch, Sky’s Chief Executive, said he was an “outstanding” leader. “Few people could claim to have done more than Nick Pollard to transform television news in this country.”

Source: Media Guardian & TV Newsroom.

Posted by on Sunday 7 May 2006
Posted in
Bernard Ponsonby retires from STV

STV’s special correspondent Bernard Ponsonby has announced he is retiring from the channel after 34 years in the industry. He

The Daily Climate Show Sky News Presentation

Sky News aired its final Climate Show this weekend. Presenter Tom Heap said at the end of this week’s programme:

Wilfred Frost Sky News

Sky News presenter Wilf Frost is heading back to CNBC. He’ll return to New York City for 4 weeks per

Copy link