Jonathan Aspinwall named new Executive Editor of Newsnight

BBC News Logo

Jonathan Aspinwall has been announced as the new Executive Editor of Newsnight.

He will lead the programme as it evolves into a debate, discussion and interview-based programme.

Jonathan currently runs BBC News Podcasts including Newscast and Newscast TV, Americast, Ukrainecast, The Global Story and The Shamima Begum Story series.

“I’m delighted to be joining the brilliant and talented Newsnight team ahead of the UK and US Elections,” Jonathan said.

“We’ll be building on Newsnight’s formidable reputation for the biggest interviews and sharp analysis. I can’t wait to get started.”

He joined the BBC in 1997 and has held senior editorial roles across TV, radio and digital including as Deputy Editor of BBC Breakfast, Senior News Editor at World TV and Editor of 5 Live’s Late Night Output. He has also edited Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg.

John McAndrew, Director of News Programmes, added: “Jonathan’s sharp news sense, creativity and experience of developing new formats make him the perfect person to oversee Newsnight as it enters a new phase. He will ensure that it remains the destination for intelligent debate, analysis and forensic interviews.

“I would also like to thank Rosie Seed and Becky Emmett who have led the Newsnight team throughout the interim period, maintaining the programme’s high editorial standards and leading the way on some of the biggest stories of the year.”

Posted by on Tuesday 12 March 2024
Posted in
Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

BBC News Slides 2024

The BBC News Channel have started using news slides for their brief “across the UK and around the world” segments.

Missing Thumbnail

North West Today presenter Katie Walderman has posted a TikTok of BBC NWT’s temporary news set. Say goodbye to the

Copy link