Vote 2004

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Vote 2004

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #17600 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The Local and European elections takes place on Thursday (10th June) 2004.

Sky have started coverage of Vote 2004 and this thread is to discuss their coverage.

Sky will have local results from 10:30pm next Thrusday 10th June.

NewsWall Graphic

Bumper

Split Screen Graphic

Window Key, Program start graphic

#17601 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Hopefully Chris Roberts,Juliette Foster and perhaps Jeremy Thompson would present it.

I dont want to see Julie,Martin,Mark,Kay or Anna moved from their normal timeslot and steal the usual late presenters show.

#17602 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I think they should do it love from Millbank. They should have JT as the anchor with a pannel of Adam Boulton and other Political Commentators. Meanwhile at Sky Centre Julia And Martin should do a Sky News Today Like Setup to interview people from across the UKs reaction. Mark should do all the computer stuff.

With Peter Spencer shadowing the Conservative Party

With Glen shadowing the Labour Pary

And Jenny Percival should do the Liberals.

Kay Burley and Anna Botting on the street getting peoples reaction.

Then again this isn’t a general electtion – so I am probably over the top

#17603 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

it’s normally Martin Stanford and Adam Boulton.

#17604 Reply

gaja
    Participant

I think Sky News may look at it at as a Dress Rehersal for the General Election cause Its probably not that far away.

#17605 Reply

Steven
    Participant

To be honest this isn’t that big an event. Many will look at the results of these elections as a reaction to the ‘Iraq Affair’.

Sky News will probably not use all the big hitters for the event, if only because that means the daytime will then be filled with the freelancers and stand ins.

So yes Adam Boulton will be at the helm. No doubt Martin Stanford will do the computer graphics stuff; He is to Sky News as Peter Snow is to the BBC (or at least used to be to the BBC).

In your forecast of the team you missed Jon Craig. I think he’s the senior of the Correspondents on the political team.

#17606 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Kay Burley and Anna Botting on the street getting peoples reaction.

That could be a long, old evening. Should we be letting these two ladies alone on the street in the middle of the night?

#17607 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing how Kilroy does. No doubt will be getting plenty of ramblings from him during the day. He’s impossible to shut-up once he gets going.

#17608 Reply

JamesH
    Participant

The European Parliament results won’t be out till Sunday evening though, because that’s when the rest of Europe goes to the polls.

#17609 Reply

Easty
    Participant

The European Parliament results won’t be out till Sunday evening though, because that’s when the rest of Europe goes to the polls.

will the UK results not come in on Thursday?

#17610 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Yep, the UK locals will start to come in on Thurs night, but they’ll drip on thru Friday, as will the GLA votes.. the Euro votes won’t be available till Sunday, as said above – but I’m sure we’ll have exit polls. By which time, on Monday, the tabloids will all be fretting over England v France in Euro2004.. so this might all turn out to be a bit of an anti-climax.. if you’re expecting something big from Super Thursday.

It’ll be Boulton, with Martin & Julie doing the SNT routine. All four politicals will be out at various places.. a standard reporter or two will be in constituencies which are seen as representative of the whole country, getting reports from normal people.. if there is such a thing. There will be others in important places.. (‘If labour lose here, with 13,000 majority they are definately heading for a large, heavy defeat nationwide..’ or ‘Can Kilroy upset the establishment here..?!’ )

The usual candidates will be in the studio, chatting.. Ken Clarke probly.. the bliarite loyalist (the one in Y-Fronts), the unreconstructed leftie (Austin Mitchell?), Ming Campbell & probly an occasional Green & an obligatory interview with a BNP candidate, sadly. Oh, but on the bright side – I’m sure Galloway will get some airtime – always good TV, that.

Will they think of a reason to get Kay in the Copter?

They used it the other day for a Dog Vs Horse race at Kempton Park – I got to see the Copter above my house, as well as the race on Sky how cool. It’s a lovely looking machine. It didn’t linger either.. 2 mins after the race finished, it headed back towards C London.. as Kay said ‘lets goto an ad break, as we all need to get paid..’

#17611 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

If it was not for the Exit Polls for the European Parliament and London elections, I doubt their would be this amount of coverage on any channel.

This is because, as has been mentioned, the London elections are not counted and announced until Friday late afternoon. The European Parliament elections are not announced till 9pm Sunday, as other parts of Europe will not have finished voting till then.

Add to that the fact that some Local Councils will not be counting results until later in the day, and you have less materials than normal to cover. Discussion of the Exit Polls will provide much of the coverage I think.

I presume the coverage will be Adam Boulton from the Millbank studio, and Martin Stanford with anaylsis of the results and exit polls from the newswall at the Sky News Centre.

BTW – Peter Snow is still doing the graphics stuff on the BBC! Should be doing it on Thursday night on BBC One, and on the BBC Two European election results programmes on Sunday.

#17612 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I presume the coverage will be Adam Boulton from the Millbank studio, and Martin Stanford with anaylsis of the results and exit polls from the newswall at the Sky News Centre

All from Osterley.

#17613 Reply

philg
    Participant

Thursday’s coverage will be presented by Martin Stanford, I think on his own, while on Sunday there will be coverage from 8pm of the Euro Election results with Adam Boulton.

#17614 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Thursdays Coverage:

Martin on the front desk with 4 guests (not sure who they are yet)

Chris Roberts is at the wall with facts and figures.

Glen OGlaza in Hastings

Adam Boulton is still is Georgia but will be back in London for the EU results on Sunday night.

#17615 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Labour MP Nick Raynsford joined Martin on the front desk – Nick said he brings good news with him because he was over at ITN when Labour won

seats in hackey. Martin then said “Well let me update you with what’s been happening on this superior news channel” Well the panel

enjoyed it.

Chris and Martin are working well together (having a laugh) never seen these guys work together before.

It would be nice to see Chris working the GE next year.

#17616 Reply

philg
    Participant

Very good coverage by Sky last night. I thought Martin Stanford was his usual excellent self, and as Johnny says, it would be good to see Chris Roberts doing a General Election.

I liked the use of the polecam last night, even though it was very late- i didn’t think they would get it out for that time at night. BBC was fairly rubbish last night I thought, but News 24 today benefited from having so many reporters available.

#17617 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Appalling Euro results coverage. I was watching at about midnight and when David Dimbleby cut across to the returning officer in Oxford for the South-West result, Adam and gang were still debating other issues. So the BBC had graphics showing who had won the seats, as it was being announced and Sky were no where to be seen. Then when the results had been announced Sky flashed them up as a ‘news flash’. And would you believe, they were incorrect! Let alone the fact that the strap was using commas incorrectly – but that’s me being sad.

Earlier in the evening when Northampton declared, Sky actually had a reporter and camera present, Alex Rossi didn’t hear the result (because of poor PA system). Adam was debating with Alex live on air what the result was. Alex Rossi said, and I quote: “I don’t know, I couldn’t hear”. Unbelieveable!

So Adam and Martin brill as ever. But the work experience guys behind the scenes let them down. Better that ITV though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Vote 2004
Your information: