Video: BBC London staff spoof the conflict in the MidEast

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Video: BBC London staff spoof the conflict in the MidEast

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  squareeyes 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #32340 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Members of the BBC London news team today face a grilling from senior bosses after they filmed a spoof video making light of the conflict in the Middle East.

The film, a skit on Peter Kay’s (Is This The Way To) Amarillo? was made to mark the departure of assistant editor Simon Torkington who is going to the news channel Al-Jazeera International in Qatar with his wife, former ITV news anchor Shiulie Ghosh.

The joke video was shown at a private leaving party for Torkington “Storky” – last week. But a copy has been leaked to the Standard by a BBC insider angry that licence fee payers’ cash was used to make a “tasteless” skit that could cause offence to Muslims.

BBC London journalists, including transport correspondent Andrew Winstanley and reporter Sarah Harris, are seen singing a spoof version of the hit song in tea towel head dresses and fake Arabstyle beards, to a video backdrop featuring real-life news footage of missile launchers, tanks and soldiers in gas masks

[youtube]GIO25zIS2pI[/youtube]

#32341 Reply

bbc World Fan
    Participant

I didn’t care for the video.
    I don’t even know who anyone in the video is.
    I found it to be really rude!

#32342 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I thought it was slightly amusing, but maybe a tad disrespectful.

#32343 Reply

squareeyes
    Participant

jonn0boy wrote:I thought it was slightly amusing, but maybe a tad disrespectful.

Typical BBC public schoolboy mentality….not even remotely amusing….in fact, just cringe-worthy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Video: BBC London staff spoof the conflict in the MidEast
Your information: