UK spies 'bugged UN's Kofi Annan'

Forums Forums TV Newsroom UK spies 'bugged UN's Kofi Annan'

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MelbourneTV 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #13978 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

British spies were bugging UN Secretary General Kofi Annan’s office in the run up to the Iraq war, former UK cabinet minister Clare Short has claimed.

Oh my, more trouble for the British Government. the UN has just said that any spying on Kofi would be Illegal

#13979 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

It makes a good news story but are any of us really surprised? I would imagine that between the US and UK, most major governments are being spied upon in one form or another and in the run-up to the Iraq War last year even more so if the countries were against or undecided about a 2nd UN Security Council resolution. So the UN Secretary General would probably have been considered ‘fair game’ to the intelligence services (MI6) in that highly charged pre-war atmosphere, with all the to-ing and fro-ing that was going on at the United Nations. I don’t think the UK Government is in any big trouble legally if Claire Short’s claims are proved, but it is very embarrassing for Tony Blair.

#13980 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Well its certainly causing a storm here. The Howard Government has already copped it bad for relying on info from the US and UK without analysing it locally – followed blindly.

Its certainly going to flare up in his face in an election year that he could loose!

Both PM Howard and Australia’s foreign Minister have called Short stupid and irresponsible… kinda hypocrytical!

#13981 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

What I’d like to know is how they manage to avoid all the bugging devices getting in each other’s way, or do they share bugs? The Anglo-American bug; le bug franco-allemand…and how many Saddam bugs got into downtown NYC?

What’s Ms Short up to?

#13982 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Well I have more faith in the French spy agency then Australia’s!

France told us months in advance there was an Al Qaeda cell operating in Sydney, and ASIO (our spy agency) ignored it!

It wasnt until the leader went to France and the French arrested him that ASIO woke up. IDIOTS!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: UK spies 'bugged UN's Kofi Annan'
Your information: