The Pope – John Paul II has Died

Forums Forums TV Newsroom The Pope – John Paul II has Died

This topic contains 57 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #24330 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Steve Gaisford and Anjali Rao broke news that the pope’s heath is failing on Thursday night (31/3/05). Victoria Branning (sp?) live from Rome.

Jeremy Thompson is now live from Rome. Martin Stanford was reporting from rome during the day.

Anna Botting is live in Krakow, Poland. Rachel Amatt on package from Krakow.

Barbara Serra and Ashish Joshi on the main package. Barbara is also in Rome.

Mike Mccarthy in Liverpool, Mark White in Westminster.
    Alastair Bruce at Sky News Centre.

#24331 Reply

Lindsay
    Participant

Steve Gaisford stayed on to 02:20 this morning, joined at 00:00 by Kevin Owen.

#24332 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Julie Etchingham and Stuart Ramsay are live in Rome for Five News

#24333 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Statement due shortly from the Vatican.

Vatican: Pope’s breathing has become shallow and Condition has worsened. Blood pressure has also worsened.

#24334 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky Italia: Pope has lost consciousness

#24335 Reply

kev667
    Participant

19:25. Reuters: Pope’s ECG has gone flat.

19.35. Some Italian media reporting death of the Pope.

#24336 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky Italia are now saying “Pope’s Brain and Heart still functioning.”

Colin Brazier is now in Rome.

#24337 Reply

I love kay
    Participant

How come Sky can get people out to Rome and poland so fast?? but other news channels dont?

Well done sky.yet again 1st with the breaking news.

Ive got sky news on will Do for the rest of the night.

#24338 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The Pope and Alastair Bruce.

#24339 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

9pm, JT still live from Rome.

#24340 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Who do we reckon has done the voiceover for Pope JP2’s obituary? It’s been waiting in the machine ready to run for a while I think. Kay, I think. An outside bet.

#24341 Reply

I love kay
    Participant

JT and AB live on sky news at ten.

#24342 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

kev667+Apr 1 2005, 09:51 PM–>(kev667 @ Apr 1 2005, 09:51 PM)
    Who do we reckon has done the voiceover for Pope JP2’s obituary? It’s been waiting in the machine ready to run for a while I think. Kay, I think. An outside bet.

Peter Sharp I think.

#24343 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Whats the latest – has there been any change?

#24344 Reply

I love kay
    Participant

Turn onto the best news channel in the world(Sky news) and you will know.

The pope is still alive but its not looking good for him.

#24345 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Akash+Apr 2 2005, 12:02 AM–>(Akash @ Apr 2 2005, 12:02 AM)
    Whats the latest – has there been any change?

There’s really been no change since last night. Although a statement is due at 5pm

#24346 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Breaking News: Pope John Paul II has dead.

#24347 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Jeremy Thompson, Colin Brazier and Martin Stanford are live in Rome.

Allan King and Paula Middlehurst Broke the news just before 9pm.

#24348 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Paula Middlehurst announced the news, first from Reuters through ANSA at 2053.

Jeremy Thompson is on screen and Martin Stanford is in St Peter’s square.

#24349 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Well Sky were most deifinately first. Paula Middlehurst breaking the news a good 2 minutes ahead of ITN, who in turn were ahead of Fox and CNN. News 24 treating us to the grinnig face of Stephen Cole and his techno programme, and eventually breaking the news some 3 or 4 minutes after Sky. You know I feel no affinity with the Pope; yet I still felt a moment of shock as Paula said those words, even when she began her sentance, despite knowing what she was going to say, I still held my breath.
    Since the story broke Sky have been quite lacklustre – 20 or so minutes before any live correspondents from Rome. And who let Alistair Bruce go home?
    Nice touch from Chris Rogers, coming out of the Obit on ITN, he lets everybody know his name. I can see his thought process – lots of people watching right now, let’s get a bit of recognition. I suspect that was the last bit of information that any viewer would have wanted right then.

#24350 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

He died at 9:37pm local time (8:37pm BST)

#24351 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Anna is still live in Krakow, she has also changed into black clothing.

Martin now live in-vision also sporting a black suit/tie

#24352 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Good media roundup from Steven – that’s precisely what happened – Sky once again broke the news first.

Brian Hanrahan broke it on News24, live in Rome. I was watching Click Online and someone shouted to tell me Paula was breaking the news. Five had a news prog scheduled for 2100 – which came on air early I think and had an obit and bad graphic with the breaking news on it.

BBC One aired a BBC News Special Report with Darren Jordan and Jeremy Bowen in Rome after Casualty at 2110.

#24353 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Five News was the first terrestrial channel to break the news about the pope’s death. Stuart Ramsay was live from Rome.

Sky Sports News also broke the news on their breaking news ticker: ” The pope has died – Full coverage on Sky News”

Good stuff from BskyB.

Tony Blair and the Queen have released statements. George Bush is set to do the same at 10pm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
Reply To: The Pope – John Paul II has Died
Your information: