The competion

Forums Forums TV Newsroom The competion

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Steven
    Participant
    #16824 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I’ve just watched, or seen the start of RTE’s 1 o’clock bulliten. The presenter started it standing by the large screen.

Is this a change from their normal routine?

Also, on another discussion my old mate Newsroom, seemed to be praising Charlie Bird. Now over the last week or so I’ve watched a bit of RTE’s bullitens via their website, and Charlie has been on a bit as a result of his expose of the AIB scandal. I don’t rate him, he hasn’t shown me anything inspiring at all. Anybody else agree or disagree?

#16825 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

I’ve just watched, or seen the start of RTE’s 1 o’clock bulliten.  The presenter started it standing by the large screen.

Don’t believe I’ve ever seen RTE’s 1pm bulletin, but I had already planned to keep 6:1 under surveillance for any innovations they might try to spring at us, to keep up with the opposition. I kind of suspect though, that RTE will decide to remain somewhat muted and conservative as that’s what the main body of their viewers count on from them.

Also, on another discussion my old mate Newsroom, seemed to be praising Charlie Bird.  Now over the last week or so I’ve watched a bit of RTE’s bullitens via their website, and Charlie has been on a bit as a result of his expose of the AIB scandal.  I don’t rate him, he hasn’t shown me anything inspiring at all.  Anybody else agree or disagree?

Charlie Bird constantly seems to be recieving applause for his investigative journalism and I honestly wonder why. He reminds me of a schoolboy trying to bust some big story for the school rag, and getting a swollen head afterwards from all of the praise. That’s just a personal opinion about the guy. I know there are people posting on these boards who ‘idolise’ him. I just think he’s a T*****, and he’s very irritating to listen to.

#16826 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

I’ve just watched, or seen the start of RTE’s 1 o’clock bulliten.  The presenter started it standing by the large screen.

Not sure if it’s normal, but it’s been regular since last September when they changed the set. I would say they do it 60 to 70 percent of the time at 1 o’clock. Maybe they do it everyday, it’s been a bit since I had a chance to see that bulletin.

They also do that on the RTE news on N2 – it’s aimed at a slightly younger audience (news for 20 something’s!) and also on the late N2 bulletin when at the desk they sit at effectively the end of the desk – i.e. looking up along the length of it rather than from behind looking out the width (if that makes sense)

#16827 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

And just for the record, while discussing SNI’s competition … (and on a positive note for RTE) I personally like both Anne Doyle and Una O’Hagan. In SNI’s favour I also like Grainne Seoige, BUT she will never be Kay Burley, who in my opinion is the undisputed and unchallenged queen of the news bulletin. She didn’t really look like she was having a good time at the SNI launch

#16828 Reply

Steven
    Participant

And just for the record, while discussing SNI’s competition … (and on a positive note for RTE) I personally like both Anne Doyle and Una O’Hagan.  

Una is the co-anchor of Six-One is that right? If it is, she is very sour-faced and doesn’t seem to lighten up at all, from what I’ve seen of her.

#16829 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Since RTEs new studio the 1oclock news’s headlines and first story were read out beside the plasma screen.

I agree with steven; Una O’Hagan is quite boring and bland -someone like Anne Cassin,Eileen Dunne or Sharon Ni Bheolain would do the 6.1 news much better.

And for the record ,I dont agree that Kay Burley is the queen of Sky news-she is so overrated and comes across as being very rude-Vivienne,Emma,Paula,Julie,Juliette and Sheila are all far better in my opinion.

By the way SkyFan Ireland RTE NEWS ON TWO has 5minute headlines @7.55pm and then a 25min long bulletin starting Somewhere between 10.25pm and 11.25pm…It is much fairer to compare NewsOnTwo with SNI—-as RTE6.1 and RTE9 are aimed at a much older audience.

#16830 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

By the way SkyFan Ireland RTE NEWS ON TWO has 5minute headlines @7.55pm and then a 25min long bulletin starting Somewhere between 10.25pm and 11.25pm…It is much fairer to compare NewsOnTwo with SNI—-as RTE6.1 and RTE9 are aimed at a much older audience.

At what stage was i comparing Sky News Ireland to RTE Six One or RTE’s 9 o’clock bulletin?

I pointed out that the standing beside the plasma on the RTE News at One has been done (at least regularly, wasn’t sure if it was everyday) since last September.

I then went on to point out that the ‘stand beside the plasma format’ was also used on the RTE news on N2, and that they also used the desk differently.

I made these points in the context of being fair to RTE (and trust me I don’t like what they do!) and in the context of Grainne’s own bold statement that she wouldn’t be presenting the news from behind the desk.

[u][b]I don’t like being mis-quoted!

#16831 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

They also do that on the RTE news on N2 – it’s aimed at a slightly younger audience (news for 20 something’s!) and also on the late N2 bulletin when at the desk they sit at effectively the end of the desk

Were you suggesting then that there are 2 news on twos?

As you call the “late N2bulletin” that is its only buletin;bar the 5min headlines @7.55pm.

I was just letting ppl know that comparing RTE1,RTE6.1 and RTE9 is unfair comparing them to SNI.

The comparison really should be made between SNI,RTE News on Two and TV3News tonight.

#16832 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Also, for the past 3nights i have watched both TV3News Tonite and RTENEWSON2 and especially concerning RTE,They have made a much bigger effort for this bulletin: live interviews featured for example(which is extremely rare for this bulletin)

Could TV3 get crossed in the crosswire?

Who knows –only time will tell.

#16833 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

That was too much to read.

As regards the 1 oclock RTE, I think they’re trying to copy Sky News Today, they usually go LIVE to wherever they can aswell.

As regards Charlie:

He has done a lot is his time. He knows all about the IRA and has got countless exclusives on the NI crises over the years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: The competion
Your information: