The Budget '04 – Kay Burley in the Skycopter

Forums Forums TV Newsroom The Budget '04 – Kay Burley in the Skycopter

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #14827 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

On Wednesday 17 March, Sky News introduces extensive coverage of the Budget from 10.00 to 15.00 on what will be a crucial day for the Labour Government.

1030 Sky News? Political Editor Adam Boulton will be in Westminster talking to leading political figures and discussing the expected outcome of the Budget.

1200 Prime Minister?s Questions broadcast live.

1230 Gordon Brown?s Budget speech broadcast live.

During and after Gordon Brown?s address, Sky News presenters and correspondents will be providing viewers with a wealth of information and revealing what the Budget means for Britain.

Kay Burley will be in the Skycopter, flying from Gordon Brown’s constituency in Dunfermline to Michael Howard’s in Folkestone. She will travel the length of the country gauging reaction to the Budget.

Julie Etchingham will be in the Sky News Centre with a finance expert to answer viewers’ personal budget questions.

Martin Stanford will be in a virtual online supermarket – the Sky Mart – to give summaries of the budget measures and analyse their impact on the average family.

Business Editor Michael Wilson will be evaluating business reaction and analysing all the tax changes with a panel of experts.

#14828 Reply

AJ
    Participant

ooh! It’ll be like Challenge Anneka!

Go Kay Go!

#14829 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Thats it. I am bangin my head against the wall trying to think of that program. I hope it is like that, would be great to see News Reporting done that way.

Great use of the copter too..

#14830 Reply

AJ
    Participant

I wonder if they’ll put her in a Sky News shell suit?!?!?

#14831 Reply

Jonno
    Participant

Great! Making more use of the copter at last, it must have needed a dust down!

This should really set Sky News above everyone else, I’m glad I’m off tomorrow afternoon.

Will they have the sound and camera team running after her and getting in all of the shots like in Challenge Anneka? It would be good to have teams on the ground to film the copter landing at each point, just to make a point that they have a copter.

#14832 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Brilliant.. Just seen Martin virutal supermartket package. Great stuff.

#14833 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

wasn’t it Treasure hunt with the helicoptor not challenge anneka?

#14834 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I think he just wants another turn on the photo captions?

The Live Budget folder – The latest pictures are here

#14835 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

lol that would make a good one

#14836 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

That picture is just plain kooky…put it in the caption section!

Would love to see Kay doing a helicopter dash across the country (is she dropping into anyone’s backyard?), bit reminiscant of a superstar doing gigs one after the other, lol.

Keep the Skyless (or Foxteless in my case) informed!

#14837 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

Sky’s really pushed the boat out with the coverage of the budget – very impressed. The virtual “Brown’s Budget Warehouse” set looks the best I’ve ever seen a virtual set and I usually really hate them – wonder where it was filmed as it’s obviously not the newswall.

SkyCopter is a novel touch too as they were showing Westminster from outside looking down at it, whilst it was all going on, and then showed live pictures from the ground looking up at the SkyCopter (hopefully I’ll see it fly over one day – heard a helicopter thunder overhead earlier… wonder if that was it?!) and then they went to Kay live in the helicopter, which just looked a bizarre sight too – so used to her in the studio.

Graphics with a roughly 60/40 split is quite novel too, as they usually do 50/50, and there’s quite a lot of quotes being put in that right hand side bit, which is also a bit different. Sky’s really excelled – same can’t be said for the other 2 major news channels though, from my quick flick through the channels to see what they were doing.

#14838 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

#14839 Reply

Jonno
    Participant

Great coverage today – especially from the skycopter.

They were having a few problems with strap near the end of the budget. It changed to that spectrum of colours but was swiftly removed. Then when putting them back on screen the LATEST red bar had gone, even with a large slug. The next attempt sat behind the ticker, then they got it right. Ah well, these things happen.

The ‘Brown’s Budget Warehouse’ was also impressive, not sure about Martins coat though! When going through the key points his clipboard was causing problems with the background.

Overall, great coverage but a few minor technical faults (never mind). Well done Sky News.

#14840 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

It all looks very widescreen now doesn’t it? I can see that if/when Sky News does finally go widescreen, it’ll be like this, with the current screensize and picture content on the left and quotes/info/graphics on the right. Also interesting how they’ve got a static “live” caption instead of the animated one, and have moved the location details across to the right of the left hand window so that when they do a 50/50 split of that they have the studio on the left and the live piece such as outside the House of Commons on the right.

3pm, seems to have gone back to normal now, with Mark at the newswall.

#14841 Reply

Jonno
    Participant

An interesting change, but I don’t think they would have such a small screen all of the time. Nice for such an event though.

Mark has just revealed that Kay has been feeling a bit quieezie. Poor Kay, but I bet she?s having a great time

#14842 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

Kay just walked in to some posh looking golf club place in Hythe where the Helicopter has landed, and as she walked through the door (almost backwards, doing a piece to camera) two men walked out, obviously not realising what was going on and Kay sort of backed in to them and looked a bit shocked

They’ve got some excellent camera positions – clearly someone’s worked out where to sit people and as Kay walks to one person it cuts from the close up of the people that were being interviewed to another angle and you’ve got Kay walking towards you, and then theres another close up angle of the person being interviewed – and all on a live report… puts “the others” to shame but then, we already knew that

#14843 Reply

Jonno
    Participant

The camera shots were clever (shame about the sound though). It was good where she was outside with the copter in the background.

Apparently they have done about 1000 miles today (most of the time spent travelling, not interviewing)

#14844 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky’s really pushed the boat out with the coverage of the budget – very impressed. The virtual “Brown’s Budget Warehouse” set looks the best I’ve ever seen a virtual set and I usually really hate them – wonder where it was filmed as it’s obviously not the newswall.

I heard it was in a Portakabin just behind one of the Sky Buidings.

#14845 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I’m trying not to imagine Kay’s cleavage in the Sky copter in widescreen. Is this so that it would fit in the frame?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: The Budget '04 – Kay Burley in the Skycopter
Your information: