Strap on ALL day

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Strap on ALL day

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Abby 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

sky.dub
    Participant
    #29431 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

What is the story with the strap about the Glitter verdict in full at the bottom of the screen. So what! It’s irritated me so much, i’ve turned to News 24.

#29432 Reply

Musey
    Participant

yeah i thought that was strange too. i thought for a bit maybe they were having problems and it was stuck there…

#29433 Reply

AJ
    Participant

It’s a big and quite entertaining story (in the smug grin being wiped off his face) so they’re obviously plugging the full verdict replay on the active service.

Remember, Sky News isn’t supposed to be watched continuously – it’s a news service that members of the general public (i.e. not enthusiasts) dip in and out of.

#29434 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

AJ wrote:It’s a big and quite entertaining story (in the smug grin being wiped off his face) so they’re obviously plugging the full verdict replay on the active service.

Remember, Sky News isn’t supposed to be watched continuously – it’s a news service that members of the general public (i.e. not enthusiasts) dip in and out of.

True, but those dippers i suspect won’t have the interest as us enthusiasts anyway in the story to analyse some boring court script.

#29435 Reply

AJ
    Participant

It’s not a court script – it’s the actual footage of the verdict being read out and Glitter’s reaction.

#29436 Reply

Musey
    Participant

i agree about the point that it’s there so when people dip into sky news they will see it, and while the strap has been annoying, my main gripe is the fact that i have sky news on both freeview (my tv card), and telewest, and on neither can i use the active service.

freeview i can accept but from my understanding sky have given telewest the rights to the red button service, they just haven’t implemented it yet. (according to sky). however when i contacted telewest, this was before i emailed sky, they said sky dont allow them to use it… :S

#29437 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

It’s still on.

#29438 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I agree. It’s a little too much all day.

I do prefer the red version.

#29439 Reply

Musey
    Participant

each time you think it’s finally gone, it pops back again. it’s like the hiccups.

#29440 Reply

RobUK
    Participant

Its really annoying and distracting being up all the time. I hope its not a permanent fixture.

#29441 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Sky news obviously thinks it has to many viewers as they are doing a good job of getting rid of some with that stuck on screen all the time.And the other day all we got was the van load of robbers going up n down the A2 to court and back,why they thought that was so vitaly important that we had to watch it all the time,not like we actually saw the people in question

#29442 Reply

lakewood
    Participant

I just wonder that if they did show the people in question how far that might contribute to a mistrial – or at least put the chance of a mistrial in question.
    At what point will the frenzy to get pictures start to jeopardise the due process of law

#29443 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

It was a nothing story,report on what happened in court but no need to show the van taking them back to jail,there must have been something more important to report on than that,all it needed to cap it off in true Sky News over the top style was Kay Burley reporting from a chase car

#29444 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

RobUK wrote:Its really annoying and distracting being up all the time. I hope its not a permanent fixture.

Well it’s still there. Maybe if they made the strap even bigger, you wouldn’t need to see the presenters at all and they could save money on make up and wardrobe……….

Down with that strap.!

#29445 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

they can really save cash by ditching the channel altogether cos that strap is pushing me onto another channel,its like on sports news,i dont see the point of the blue strap telling u the same info as what the presenters are telling you,use it for breaking news but no need for it all the time

#29446 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

It’s back today telling us that Oscar news is on active. Wow.

Is this going to be a permanent feature, like the ticker?

#29447 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I?ve sent a couple of emails complaining about this to news@sky.com perhaps some of the forum members here would like to do the same before Sky News ends up looking like Bloomberg (502).

#29448 Reply

jk80
    Participant

All these posts and nobody has commented about the amusing name of the thread…strap on indeed!

#29449 Reply

lakewood
    Participant

From The Guardian
    Seeing red
    Monkey can’t help but feel that the poignancy of Sky’s coverage today of Ronnie Barker’s memorial service from Westminster Abbey might be enhanced a little if there wasn’t an enormous headline underneath telling viewers: “Press Red for Glitter verdict in full.” Just for once, can’t we think about one story at a time, please?

#29450 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

It’s resurfaced again..they must think we’ve already forgot about Active.

#29451 Reply

AJ
    Participant

I could understand why they are doing it if Active were an advertising supported service (i.e. carried adverts a bit like Sky Active) but it doesn’t.

Yes, it keeps viewers on the channel for that bit longer, but I don’t think that active viewing figures are counted by BARB – so that case falls on its nose too.

It’s just needless and annoying, and obviously has something to do with an executive producer who works at the weekend.

If it’s really important to them, just flash it up at the top of the hour whilst the names are being said, and plug the active service in the ticker and with the 15min headlines.

#29452 Reply

Skyinternational
    Participant

Criss Angel wrote:I?ve sent a couple of emails complaining about this to news@sky.com perhaps some of the forum members here would like to do the same before Sky News ends up looking like Bloomberg (502).

I’ve also sent them an email, hope they realize how unpleasant this strap is.

#29453 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

It seems to be a weekend thing. I don’t understand it though, they put the strap up about the top stories while the top stories are being read out.

To me it also has a lazy aspect to it, because having this strap up means they don’t have to do the usual straps about whatever story that’s on.

How Sky News expects people to watch more than 5 or 10 minutes lately is beyond me.

#29454 Reply

Musey
    Participant

i agree it looks terrible and is a huge turn off. the active service is already plugged enough, and in far better ways.

plus sky news is one of those aesthetically pleasing channels – it just looks nice to have one and leave on. this crappy banner ruins it.

and i bet they’ve lost more viewers than they’ve gained active users.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Strap on ALL day
Your information: