Steve on his own for News at 10

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Steve on his own for News at 10

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Newsroom 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

bbriscoe
    Participant
    #18063 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

Steve’s on his own for news at 10?? I’ve only just tuned in…has it been just him since 8?

Seems strange to have one of their high profile bulletins only presented by 1 person!

It’s a bit bland to be honest! It’s amasing how much of a difference a ‘couple’ on screen makes.

Ben

#18064 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I heard that Paula was on for about 10 minutes at 8pm ….

#18065 Reply

Hello
    Participant

I would have thought that in a situation like that that someone could have been pressed into service at short notice to present the programme alongside Steve. There must be someone in the building who could cover. If need be rearrange the roster as needed.

#18066 Reply

Kelly
    Participant

I would have thought that in a situation like that that someone could have been pressed into service at short notice to present the programme alongside Steve.  There must be someone in the building who could cover.  If need be rearrange the roster as needed.

There may have only been other male presenters around and they could not be used as there should be a male and female presenter when there are 2 peresenters.

#18067 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

There may have only been other male presenters around and they could not be used as there should be a male and female presenter when there are 2 peresenters.

Not necessary! In many occasions there have been 2 male presenters. If this would happen during day shift they would definitely need another presenter (male or female) right away. There was nothing going on that evening, no reports from the newswall or interviews from Central London, I think it was one breaking news and Steve was more than capable to do it on his own.

_______

Tanya

#18068 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Steve coped very well on the interview with SkyIrelands Eibhlin Ni Chonghaile in relation to the pub in Galway(West coast) going against the smoking ban.

As he passed to the sports presenter,he wittily said”thats put me right in the mood for a pint of the black stuff!”

He truly is a great presenter.

#18069 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

The problem was that although Steve is a very good Sky presenter, with him on his own it seemed bland and to be honest quite boring.

Sky should have got someone in to cover, especially for the very high profile ‘Sky News at 10’. This is one of the very few times during the day when Sky News goes head to head with news on both BBC and ITV, and they need to make sure they have a good programme.

Ben

#18070 Reply

Steven
    Participant

especially for the very high profile ‘Sky News at 10’. This is one of the very few times during the day when Sky News goes head to head with news on both BBC and ITV

Well, the evening schedule (anything post 8pm) isn’t very high profile. Indeed, it isn’t high profile at all.

Should Sky really try to compete with the BBC (remember ITV news is now at 10.30pm)? Personally I think not. Surely they should be concentrating on the times when the public can’t get their news from a terrestrial channel?

#18071 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

Actually, I beg to differ…the evening slots are high profile. There is no reason why Sky should offer an inferior product at 10pm so people have to turn over to BBC 1.

Evening slots are the best times for attracting viewers as people are home from work…bigger audience to attract. Therefore they should be offering a product that is worthy to challenge the terrestial channels.

Ben

#18072 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Why is Steve a great presenter?

#18073 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Actually, I beg to differ…the evening slots are high profile. There is no reason why Sky should offer an inferior product at 10pm so people have to turn over to BBC 1.

Evening slots are the best times for attracting viewers as people are home from work…bigger audience to attract. Therefore they should be offering a product that is worthy to challenge the terrestial channels.

Ben

Well, I’m not saying that they shouldn’t be high profile. If you look at some of my previous posts you’ll see that I have taken quite a few opportunities to mention the need for better evening programming. Nobody wants to see quality prime-time programming more than me. My point was that it isn’t high profile because Sky News don’t consider it to be. There is history to this; Sky News has never really performed well in the evenings.

Why? I believe it is because in the evenings people don’t want to see rolling news. They want that during the daytime, whilst they are on the go. So that they can dip in and out, as they please. In the evenings people want to watch drama, entertainment, films, etc with a news summary programme. So with 6 million people already tuning into BBC1 at 10pm why try to split that audience. Surely it is better to offer a product at 8pm or 9pm. Remember Sky are a business and any money they invest must be able to reap the ad revenue. A quality programme at 10pm with a low audience – because they are all watching the Beeb – isn’t going to cut it.

#18074 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Also Steve was presenting the 8pm-midnight slot on his own on a FRIDAY….Most people at 10o’clock on a Friday are not watching SkyNews-especially that Friday where BigBrother was on Channel4 and the national news was on BBC-other people were out being a Friday night.#

Also it is July-generally speaking people are on holidays and there is less “NEWS” this time of year….also there were no major breaking news stories and so Steve was more than capable of coping on his own.

#18075 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Also Steve was presenting the 8pm-midnight slot on his own on a FRIDAY….

It was Thursday Newsroom. Otherwise, good points made.

#18076 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

Sky News should not be treated as a substitute for BBC News, and as a channel viewers tune into when there is no news on the BBC. By not competing properly in the evening slots they are admitting that the programming they offer is not as good as that found on terrestial channels.

Sky News could easily offer a programme to rival the 10 O’Clock News and ITV News (on ITV) especially now with freeview, as more people are getting access to Sky News.

There is no reason that Sky should not directly compete with the BBC in this slot – the BBC did the same to ITV when they moved the news from 9pm to 10pm. By offering a sub-standard product at 10pm Sky are pushing viewers towards the BBC News and in a way admitting that their programme is not as good.

Sky News evenings could be turned into more ‘bulletin’ style programmes like the BBC’s bulletins adding more analysis and coverage of the news that happened during the day, but also adding the unique Sky News breaking news aspect.

Rolling news is good, but Sky also need some more defined programmes like Sky News Today and Live at Five. Sky News at Ten is just not dynamic enough and different.

Ben

#18077 Reply

Kelly
    Participant

Not necessary! In many occasions there have been 2 male presenters. .

That did used to be the case, however now male and female presenters are used at all times when there are 2 presetners, to keep it like this a Live at Five presetner will do a double shift if needed.

#18078 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Steven+Jul 12 2004, 12:20 AM–>(Steven @ Jul 12 2004, 12:20 AM)

It was Thursday Newsroom. Otherwise, good points made.

It was a Friday
    Perhaps it happened on a Thursday aswell?

#18079 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Oh, how odd. As I recall Allan King and Hannah O’Sullivan presented Friday evening. Surely Steve didn’t do Friday evening then Saturday Sunrise?

#18080 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Sorry!! Yes you are fully and totally correct……I got a bit mixed up!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Steve on his own for News at 10
Your information: