Sni Problems!

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sni Problems!

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

tippguy
    Participant
    #22259 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

I have just wasted the worst half hour of my entire life watching Sky News Ireland.
    Below is a list of things that I find wrong with Sky News Ireland. I have also sent these points to Nick Purnell Managing Editor of Sky News Ireland, Victoria Dalton Programme Information Editor of Sky News, Laura Stephens, Head of Programme Information, Vicki Stride, Programme Information Co-ordinator & Sky News.
    — — ——————————————————————————————-
    Dear Mr. Purnell,
    I am a subscriber of Sky Digital and spend over ?60 per month and tonight I found out that it is a complete waste of money. I am a regular viewer of Sky News Ireland and have tonight never felt so embarrassed to be giving so much money for a pathetic news service in return. Below are just a few of the points about Sky News Ireland that I would like to make.

1. When I switched on Sky News just before Seven O’Clock this evening the most stupid voice introduced the show saying “Sky News Ireland with Brian Daly in Dublin & Ray Kennedy in Thailand”. It was not the same person that introduces the Sky News programmes.
    2. The graphics on Sky News Ireland are absolutely pathetic. When the show is starting it’s opening sequence and displays Sky News Ireland the graphics go from England over to Ireland but they decide not to stop there, they go half ways to America before they realise that they actually have a show to run. And they displayed a Breaking News at the bottom of the screen several times during the show but not once was there audio effects with the Breaking News. Also on several occasions during the show there was blackouts and pauses for no reason. Also the clock on Sky News Ireland is different to that of Sky News UK, as is the bar telling you the weather for the days ahead.
    3. I also don’t understand why you have introduced “Your Watching Sky News Ireland brought to you nightly at 7 & 10”. It’s not as if it’s advertisement. The people watching your show are the ones who know it’s on. It’s in the papers where you should be putting these adverts if you want to improve your ratings. Sky News UK never say anything of that sort.
    4. Tonight there were two presenters, four reporters & a weather presenter on Sky News Ireland. Why couldn’t Eibhl?n N? Chonghaile have covered the Cork 2005 story. Jeroham Hughes & Alison Murphy could have been at the airports for people coming home from the trauma but ye decide to give all them along with Gr?inne the day off. Myself and other Digital subscribers are paying your wages!
    5. Sky News Ireland should at least be an hour long if not 24/7. Tonight during the weather they cut it off in the middle of the tape just to go back to Ray in Thailand. Ye are always running out of time in the show. Why can’t ye just go on for an extra half hour. You could have the first half hour on the top stories, then some entertainment and lighter stories and finish up with sport and weather. It’s not rocket science.
    6. I also think that you should introduce the ticker since ye don’t cover half enough stories.

If I do not see some significant improvements to Sky News Ireland I will be transferring over to Chorus or NTL. Why did I have to go to the trouble of writing this letter when you have an office full of people who were tonight reading the paper in the background. You seriously need to sort out your editorial section of your programme. I have also forwarded this letter to Victoria Dalton Programme Information Editor of Sky News, Laura Stephens, Head of Programme Information, Vicki Stride, Programme Information Co-ordinator & Sky News as in previous times when I e-mailed you I failed to get a reply.

I would also suggest that you visit http://skynewsforums.co.uk/ where Sky News Ireland Viewers are discussing your programmes.

I am looking forward to hearing your response,
    Yours Sincerely
    P?draig Byrne.

—————————————————————————————–
    Hope this will make some improvments!

#22260 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

tippguy+Jan 4 2005, 09:15 PM–>(tippguy @ Jan 4 2005, 09:15 PM)
    Hope this will make some improvments!

I don’t think so!!!

#22261 Reply

Steven
    Participant

tipguy – how old are you?

#22262 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

sorry mate your not my type!

#22263 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Jeroham Hughes

Yep, he could be at the airport alright, except for one thing, he’d be signing off saying “TV3 news” – as he has been for the past few days – Jerome Hughes is gone back to TV3 ! – Wise decision I should think.

#22264 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

If I do not see some significant improvements to Sky News Ireland I will be transferring over to Chorus or NTL

As far as I know, Chorus is owned by News.Corp. and even if you subscribe to NTL, a lot of the money you’ll be paying, will be going to BSKYB because they have to pay for the rights to show some of the Sky Network etc.

I think that a better way to show Sky News Ireland what you think of them, is to simply not watch it and watch RT? instead. RT? have really come a long way, they go LIVE to places now, they’ve stole a lot of Sky News techniques and do it a lot better than Sky News Ireland, such as their three reporters in S.E. Asia in my opinion are doing a splendid job. Their reports are just as good as Sky’s and BBC’s.

Your Watching Sky News Ireland brought to you nightly at 7 & 10

Its an advertisement. What annoys me is when they say they’ll have lots more at 10PM. So the 24/7 cable/digital paid for Murdoch owned multi-national corporation News Channel is telling us to tune back in – in just 2 and a half hours time – its sad! Its sad that TV3 have more News than Sky News Ireland. Its sad that even an Irish speaking TV station with very little ratings can put on a week-end news and Sky News Ireland can’t.

. Tonight there were two presenters, four reporters & a weather presenter on Sky News Ireland. Why couldn’t Eibhl?n N? Chonghaile have covered the Cork 2005 story. Jeroham Hughes & Alison Murphy could have been at the airports for people coming home from the trauma but ye decide to give all them along with Gr?inne the day off. Myself and other Digital subscribers are paying your wages!

Well, they’re short staffed. I don’t understand why they can’t employ more journalists and presenters. If they’re having money problems, then its time they packed it up – they’ll never get more ratings if they stick to what they’re doing at the moment. – They won’t be me watching them anyway.

I also think that you should introduce the ticker since ye don’t cover half enough stories

There really is no point in them having a ticker since they’re only on for such a short period of time and only 5 days a week – sure they’d be finished the news before the ticker made one full rotation.

I would also suggest that you visit http://skynewsforums.co.uk/ where Sky News Ireland Viewers are discussing your programmes.

Uh-oh – they won’t like any of the stuff I’ve wrote about them – is it time I went into witness protection?

I am looking forward to hearing your response,

Good luck with that one

#22265 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

By the way, fair play to you for sending emails to people but if I was bothered to write to them, I’d have wrote a lot more complaints about Sky News “iSland”

#22266 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

By the way, if anyone reading this is not living in the ROI and if any of us Irish have hit a nerve, then you can see the problems of SNI by doing the following:

Watch Sky news Ireland at 7PM tonight (I believe that you are able to watch it on Sky News Active @ 7:30PM or maybe 8PM) then when you’ve done that, go on the internet and go to ” http://www.rte.ie/news ” and download the “six-one news” or else the “nine o’clock news” – and watch that – then you’ll see for yourself why I no longer get high blood pressure when I have to pay my TV licence (RT? Tax – which pay the wages of our friend ‘Newsroom’)

#22267 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

I watched the SkyNewsIreland bulletin at 10pm this evening. I noticed that their reporter, Alison O’Reilly, reported both from Clane in County Kildare re the TSB bank shooting and also from the Rotunda Hospital in central Dublin, re the use of mobile phones on childrens health. She had her hair different and had a different coat and scarf on-perhaps a ploy by Sky to make the viewer unaware that it was actually the samereporter! Another example of Sky’s grossly tight budget and lack of presenters.

#22268 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

well i can understand kildare and dublin you can drive from one to the other in a couple of hours. BUT over the x-mas Brian Daly done a report in Zambia and later that programme was live in Dublin. What a farce. hey are a joke

#22269 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I watched the SkyNewsIreland bulletin at 10pm this evening. I noticed that their reporter, Alison O’Reilly, reported both from Clane in County Kildare re the TSB bank shooting and also from the Rotunda Hospital in central Dublin, re the use of mobile phones on childrens health. She had her hair different and had a different coat and scarf on-perhaps a ploy by Sky to make the viewer unaware that it was actually the samereporter! Another example of Sky’s grossly tight budget and lack of presenters.

I watched some of Sky News Ireland last night myself. It seems that not much has changed but I don’t believe I’ve ever criticised the quality of their reporting. They have some of the best journalistic talent in the country. However, I agree with you Newsroom that they are short staffed. But then again, we’ve said this over and over and nothings changed, except that Jerome has left Sky to go back to TV3.

One thing however, they didn’t get cut-off last night. It apears they’ve fixed a lot of previous editorial problems. I’d like to know wether SNI are fully in charge of their own schedule and channel, or is it being runned from London and they get a set time mon-fri.

#22270 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I think that it’s ‘run form London’ and SNI fill the gap, as it were, with their programme.

I watched the other evening and think I saw a new reporter – Lynagh???
    That now means that they have 2 more reporters more than when they began 9 or so months ago. They were also using Liam Creagh (normally in Belfast) for stories south of the border (and he was actually in Dublin and up in Donegal). Presumably as a temp replacement for Ray Kennedy.

#22271 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I watched it in full yesterday and I found it impressive. They’ve come on a bit. No editorial errors that I could see. Maybe Dublin are in control now? Because they don’t seem to get cut-off before the show ends anymore.

Tell me – who are the 9 reporters?

Here is my count:

1/ Ray Kennedy
    2/ Brian Daly
    3/ Eibhilin Ni Conignla (excuse the spelling)
    4/ Johnathon Healy
    5/ Alison Murphy
    6/ Alison O’Reilly
    7/ Liam Creigh (NI)
    8/ Gary Honeyford (NI)
    9/ David Blevins? (NI)

So, three reporters based in NI? Thats the same figure as RT?’s for NI, I think.

also, I thinks its very good for SNI that Iain woods is Irish. He’s done a couple of exclusive reports for SNI and yesterday there was an interview with Bill Clinton, by him, about Ireland for SNI. He then went LIVE as well. He seems happy to go LIVE to Dublin anytime they want him too. He’s a credit to SNI. I just worry what’ll happen if he leaves the US, and SNI continues with its pathetic scheduling.

#22272 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Well there you go Byrnsey, you can post a positive and well constructed post after all. I’m genuinely pleased.

#22273 Reply

sniwatcher
    Participant

Former Chief Reporter at Dublin’s 98FM, Geraldine Lynagh is now reporting for Sky News Ireland.

regards,
    sniwatcher

#22274 Reply

daibhidh
    Participant

You might find that SNI ran over it’s aloted slot rather than now resuming control of switching over…in Scotland BBC Scotland works in a similar way to SNI on BBC1 and BBC2…it’s scheduals for programmes and news vary considerably from ‘UK’ BBC channels, and every so often programmes with be cut when returning to the London-broadcast progs…I’m sure it’s the same for SNI. They seem to think it more acceptable to cut off the end of oa Scottish/Irish prog than start late with a London broadcast one…

#22275 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

I watched the last 15 min’s of sni @ 10 tonight and i must say was very impressive. I taought Grainne handled the murder case very well. she didn’t speak in her normal chearful voice it was more sad which was excellent. The proper tone for sad ocassion. They seem to have had enough time for proper sport and weather and a good closing not just saying bye. and then the closing graphics were a bit new which was very touchy and made you fell you were getting your moneys worth. I have to say things are looking up for sni. they have come a long way in 8 months. they’re a lot further than tv3 or rte were in their first 8 months. well done sky!!

#22276 Reply

Steven
    Participant

And another positive post re. SNI. Count ’em up. Well done tipguy.

Geraldine Lynagh was the person I was refering to a few posts back. She makes the total team to 2 more than when they started.

#22277 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Well Steveyyy I like to leave a lasting impression – but can I shock you (hopefully not give you heart attack) and make yet anothe rpositive post on Sky News Ireland?

Yesterday, I watch RT? News @ 9PM (as you do) and I was generally pleased as usual with their reports etc. but then I watched Sky News Ireland @ 10PM, and I can tell you, that was by far the better!!!! They had a helicopter. They went LIVE twice, stayed witht he top story for 20 minutes before taking a break and didn’t get cut-off.

I think SNI are possibly in charge of their own channel at this stage, – I hope they are because that would allow them to cut into regular scheduling for Breaking News in future.

Former Chief Reporter at Dublin’s 98FM, Geraldine Lynagh is now reporting for Sky News Ireland.

She seemed to be a good reporter. Very suited to reporting LIVE as well. However, I think Jerome Hughes is one of the best reporters in the country, for his age. I have noticed and maybe this is a compliment to the SNI reporters, but they seem to be no older than mid-forties. I think they need to snatch a veteran reporter. Even if they were to snatch he/she from a paper. – Someone thats been in the political (and even better economical/business area as well) game, would of major importance to SNI.

they have come a long way in 8 months

Lets not pat them on the back just yet. Remember what happens on Saturday and Sundays and any day thats a bank holiday or “public” :rolleyes: holiday (my interpretation: Excuse to drink day).

From now on, I’m going to bring my anger at the no-weekend bulletins into this forum, to emphasise this fundemental reason as to why my three-day-in-a-row Sky New Ireland spree (to be made a four-day-in-a-row this evening) is going to end tomorrow

#22278 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

watched all the news channels tonight in between the good bits of the late late and sni has by far come out the better as far as i can see. although both tv3 news tonight & rte news at 9 had 8 reporters and sky only had 4 it was a much better show. rte & sky were live twice to cork while tv3 had no live reports. paul renolds seemed ignorent to the midelton locals in interviewing them but eiblhin was nice to them at this hard time. although sky had fewer reporters it was the more professional of the 3. going live twice and again for an interview with the super in charge of the crime was godd for them. Sky had an in debt sport prog.7 or 8 mins long while rte had none and tv3 had wats coming up on sports tonight. Sky had the best closing simply showing a pic of robert and under it 1993-2005 while the others went as usual. disapointed that tv3 never reminded viewers to go straight to the church not the house so the family an have time alone. things are going well for sky. well done mr.purnell!!!!

#22279 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Well, I only watched Sky News Ireland @ 7 yesterday and I would agree with you that it was a very professional programme. I just can’t get over the fact that after eight months, there are still no week-end bulletins.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Sni Problems!
Your information: