Sky News wins five awards at New York Festivals

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News wins five awards at New York Festivals

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #13698 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky News? coverage of ?The Fall of Baghdad? in April 2003 has won a Silver Medal in the ?Coverage of Breaking News (longform)? category at the New York Festivals.

The coverage saw David Chater broadcast the first live reports from the streets of Baghdad, using technology that had been smuggled in to the Iraqi capital months earlier.

The channel also picked up two Bronze medals. Sky News? London Correspondent David Bowden was awarded a Bronze Medal in the ?Best News Reporter/Correspondent? category. David was embedded with the Royal Marines during the Iraq War and his coverage of the battle of Umm Qasr featured the first live broadcast of prolonged battlefield scenes.

Sky News? coverage of the SARS epidemic, fronted by Asia Correspondent Richard Bestic, won a Bronze medal in the ?Coverage of on-going News Story? category.

Sky News? South Africa Correspondent Stuart Ramsay and his team were also awarded a Finalist Certificate for their coverage of Liberia in the same category.

Foreign Affairs Correspondent Tim Marshall was awarded a Finalist Certificate in the ?Best News Documentary/Special? category for his half-hour documentary ?The Desert Kingdom?, which featured exclusive access to the Crown Prince Abdullah, his palaces and an insight into modern Saudi Arabia.

The International Film and Video and Television Programming and Promotions Awards were announced in New York on February 3 2004. There were over 200 entries from 14 countries in the News categories of the competition.

#13699 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

Congratulations Sky News!

#13700 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

That’s so much better than the paltry two or three nominations they have recieved for the forthcoming Royal Television Society awards!

But no direct award for David Chater? Tsk.

#13701 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Sky News? coverage of ?The Fall of Baghdad? in April 2003 has won a Silver Medal in the ?Coverage of Breaking News (longform)? category at the New York Festivals.  

The coverage saw David Chater broadcast the first live reports from the streets of Baghdad, using technology that had been smuggled in to the Iraqi capital months earlier.  

who won Gold then?! I agree, Skybaby, no award for David Chater as an individual is really dubious. It was the best rolling news coverage I’ve ever seen – that walkabout waiting for the marines was terrifying (and compelling) to watch…Isn’t this award the same that he won for his work in Chechnya? I do think though that Sky could have pushed the PR boat out a lot more for their coverage from Baghdad [especially; the hotel attack and the digilink coverage inter alia] as it was the best. Congratulations to everyone though – not just David, but his Serbian cameramen and to Josh Mainka.

I’m glad Stuart Ramsay got a mention, but he also deserves better. Ditto Emma Hurd. There was an award last year for ‘women reporters’ which was won by Ms Guerin of (guess which channel??) and Emma wasn’t even nominated as far as I could see.

Can anyone tell me who does the nominations or do the channels nominate their own journalists? If it’s judges, nothing to be done; if Sky can nominate their own, then why didn’t they?!

#13702 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

The live coverage by David Chater on the day that the American tanks rolled in to Baghdad was an amazing piece of news reporting. Greeting the marines ‘live’ and interviewing them was a coup that David Chater deserved some recognition for. So Sky News getting an award for that coverage is no surprise, although I am surprised that it was only a Silver Medal. (Whatever won Gold Medal must have been very good to top ‘The Fall of Baghdad’ report!) But well done to the Sky News team anyway.

#13703 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

It wasn’t merely the technology enabling Chater to interview the marines and the 2 terrifying hours that he spent on the streets before they arrived, but his reporting from the day before when the US tank fired on the Palestine Hotel. Nobody else went “live” then either, in all that chaos and extreme fear and danger.

Those two days also brought home to me why rolling news is a format to be reckoned with. I’d always thought it repetitive, shallow and inferior to bulletins before that.

congratulations to Chater and his team. And commiserations. Ask Olympians what they do with silver medals. What footage did win Gold?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Sky News wins five awards at New York Festivals
Your information: