Sky News On Control Room

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News On Control Room

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  jonn0boy 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

tim1
    Participant
    #18366 Reply

tim1
    Participant

Very good documentary about Al Jazeera, filmed during the war in Iraq in 2003 called Control Room. I reckon everyone with an interest in 24-hour news operations should see it.

Interesting how the 24-hour news channels covered the events and from what perspective ie showing dead bodies, calling the troops ‘our’ or ‘coalition’ troops etc. Sky News features quite often, whether admirably, is debatable.
    Firstly on the evening that George Bush declared war there are screen shots of Juliette Foster and the Baghdad skyline.

One of the lighter moments comes when the US military unveil their pack of 52 “Most Wanted” Iraqis.
    Geoff Meade is seen asking the now infamous question; ‘is the Iraqi Information Minister included because every pack needs a joker.’

There’s also an amusing dig at the BBC – one of the main producers at Al Jazeera used to work at the World Service and meets a former colleague who asks him what he’s doing. The Al Jazeera man tells him to which the Beeb man retorts; “mate, everyone who works at the BBC usually ends up at Al Jazeera”.

However, later during the war when US troops enter Baghdad – Sky News was on the ground with David Chater live.
    It was Sky’s moment hands-down; the whole of the media/military contingent at Centcom are seen gathered around the TV watching Sky News. There is a point when David Chater is heard saying to a US troop who’s holding an American flag “get that flag up flying high” at which point one of the journalists watching on TV is seen closing her eyes and shaking her head.

Most memorably I think is when one of the Editors at Al Jazeera talks about how, during a war, the story is only told according to the victors and how the public tend only to remember what he calls “the best bits.”

What made that quote stand out so vividly was, preceding it, we see journalists at Centcom filing stories etc.
    Two journalists are shown reporting; Tom Mintier from CNN and James Forlong from Sky News.

That really struck home about how news channels – and the film shows that all of them are to blame; from Fox News, Al Jazeera, CNN, BBC, Sky etc. are guilty of telling their viewers what they want to see and not what is really happening.

Like when US troops entered the square in Baghdad and toppled the statue of Saddam. One of the producers at Al Jazeera explains how all news channels took the footage and it looked like the square was filled with hundreds of people when actually it wasn’t. And we see that in fact it wasn’t.

But perhaps most tellingly two Al Jazeera producers make the point that it was only young men present in the square when it all happened – make of that what you will – and that “none of the so-called ‘celebrating Iraqis’ shown in the footage had Iraqi accents”.

Thought-provoking and excellent stuff.

Anyone else seen it?

#18367 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Yes it’s really interesting. I think David C’s remark which was made in a state of light headed euphoria after those terrifying hours on the streets cost him dear come award time as other journos in safer climes and times tend to be unforgiving….. but you have to remember the context! All the journos who had been under bombardment realised they had survived a war; and there was a feeling of elation that Saddam was in the dustbin of history!! I still think if he were less tired he would not have said that like that as he did also ask an Iraqi “are they here for the right reasons?” as well.

#18368 Reply

Alloneword
    Participant

Has this already gone to air in the UK yet?
    If not any idea when it’s going out

#18369 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

you forgot to mention the bit when Al Jazeera phoned up sky news and had a go at them for using Al Jazeera video

#18370 Reply

Hullo
    Participant

What channel is/was this on?

#18371 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

kacas+Aug 12 2004, 01:27 AM–>(kacas @ Aug 12 2004, 01:27 AM)
    you forgot to mention the bit when Al Jazeera phoned up sky news and had a go at them for using Al Jazeera video

Is this a doco made by Sky News???

I doubt it’ll be shown here on our Sky News.

I hate Al Jazeera. I wish the Australian government banned the hate inciting crap.

#18372 Reply

tim1
    Participant

It wasn’t a Sky News-made documentary.
    It was on at the ICA in London but I think its run has ended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391024/

#18373 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

oh i do apologize , i thought you were talking about the al jazeera documentry originally made by the bbc that has been showing on uk history, cos they sound very similar.
    and Melbourne tv you may want to see the documentry i speak off althhough this would probably be impossible. But, i think it may open your eyes

#18374 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

kacas+Aug 14 2004, 11:45 PM–>(kacas @ Aug 14 2004, 11:45 PM)
    oh i do apologize , i thought you were talking about the al jazeera documentry originally made by the bbc that has been showing on uk history, cos they sound very similar.
    and Melbourne tv you may want to see the documentry i speak off althhough this would probably be impossible. But, i think it may open your eyes

I would like to see it, but I doubt it will be shown here unless the ABC or SBS picked it up… It may change my viewpoint on the channel, but I doubt it.

#18375 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

The “control room” documentry is being shown on bbc2 on the 21august

#18376 Reply

Alloneword
    Participant

kacas+Aug 16 2004, 08:36 PM–>(kacas @ Aug 16 2004, 08:36 PM)
    The “control room” documentry is being shown on bbc2 on the 21august

Yep beat me to it m8

#18377 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

WOW – that was a great documentary. I didn’t see the piece where Al Jazeera phoned up Sky News and had a go at them for using Al Jazeera video. Did anyone else see it?

There is a interview with the director on the BBCi website

#18378 Reply

Alloneword
    Participant

Johnnie+Aug 21 2004, 11:38 PM–>(Johnnie @ Aug 21 2004, 11:38 PM)
    I didn’t see the piece where Al Jazeera phoned up Sky News and had a go at them for using Al Jazeera video. Did anyone else see it?

No Johnnie i didn’t see it either and i never moved of the sofa during the peice so guess they must have cut up, but Oh how we love Geoff Mead and his “Joker” comment.

Good bit of TV IMO

#18379 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

hi.
    i swear i did mention up the thread that the piece i was referring to was in another Al Jazeera film, its currently being played out alot on uktv history.
    Watch out for it, its called “Al Jazeera Special”

#18380 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

there’s an ‘Al Jazeera Special’ on at 6pm this evening called Correspondent on UKTV History (582)

#18381 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

thats the one im on about!

#18382 Reply

skynyooz
    Participant

I remember that incident very well. An Aljazeera employee is on the phone talking to someone at SN. As he’s talking on the phone he is watching SN literally pinching Aljazeera footage and obscuring their logo. It’s very embarrassing for SN who are always quick to judge AlJazeera.

The scene is from a BBC documentary – The Control Room (I think) – which was broadcast on BBC World about a year ago.

See here for more
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3755553.stm

I taped it on VHS. Does this forum support VHS?

#18383 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

no dude its not from that its from the bbc correspondent show special.
    Like was said a couple of posts above

#18384 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Control Room is on again tomorrow (monday) at 11:30pm on BBC 4.

#18385 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Is it worth watching?

If so I will be tuning in.

#18386 Reply

sky_news_nut
    Participant

Wow that was an excellent programme, for anyone who is interested in how 24hr news is made this is a must-see. Also a very interesting look at the role propaganda plays in wars.

#18387 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Yes, it gave an interesting account and another side to a complicated story.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Sky News On Control Room
Your information: