Sky News Ireland – It's launched!!

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News Ireland – It's launched!!

This topic contains 54 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Steven
    Participant
    #16740 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Note to Johnnie: please can we keep this topic seperate, I think the other thread is becoming rather large and this would be a good point to start a new one.

So my initial reaction is of disappointment.

I’ve watched a couple of the RTE bullitens, using their website, over the last week. If I lived in Ireland I wouldn’t be convinced that Sky is the place to get my news.

Good points:

Grainne – she looks great, sounds the part, and seems to have journalistic integrity.

Lisa Burke live in Dublin

Use of the Sky News helicopter

Richard Bestic’s report tailored for SNI – very humorous

Ray Kennedy’s report – a Sky exclusive

And bad points:

Technical issues, particularly graphics

The storyfrom Eibhlin – was it really news-worthy?

Eibhlin – yes it may be a little harsh but I’m not a fan

‘Live’ link with Lisa Holland, seemed far too staged and I’m not sure that it was live

Very few stories from Ireland – two stories that featured in the headlines of RTE didn’t figure in the Sky bulliten at all

Grainne didn’t actually move around the studio

#16741 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

oh god, typical..

Well im actually LIVING in ireland and i thought the new show was fantastic.How on earth could you be dissapointed on the

FIRST BROADCAST!.

Maybe you should have been consintrating on lissening to the news than trying to pick out the nitty little things like Technical issues

” The storyfrom Eibhlin – was it really news-worthy?”

Of Course it was! , to the people who live There!! The most powerful man in the world is coming within 20 miles of my house!!! , i want to know about it…

“Eibhlin – yes it may be a little harsh but I’m not a fan”

I dont even know where to begin on that one you only saw her for 5 mins!!

” ‘Live’ link with Lisa Holland, seemed far too staged and I’m not sure that it was live “”

….oh god…The man in England knows if the link is live in Dublin??….you can see dublin from your window ya?

Very few stories from Ireland – two stories that featured in the headlines of RTE didn’t figure in the Sky bulliten at all….

Sky news is all about being different , fresh perspective. Different Stories.

“Grainne didn’t actually move around the studio”

Oh sorry , Did you want her presenting climbing the wall and absailing down the side of the building. It’s a 30 min news show. not mush time for moving around.

Im sorry if im sarcastic, but i just get really annoyed when people post such nitty, comments like that.

Sky news Ireland , than you for this new service.

#16742 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

I dont get on with Steven however i do agree partially with him.

I live in Dublin but yes the stories were different but i think an hour long bulletin would be more suitable.

They have extremely limited resouurces and although the copter was dramatic i think its better off in the UK.The live link with lisa was awfully short.

Also,she did move around-behind computers and then beside plasma.

However this is a fresh new vibrant evocative approach to news -much better than boring Anne,Bryan and Una who present the dreary RTE 6.01 and 9 bulletins!

Marks out of ten for 1st broadcast: 7 out of 10

TV3:4out of 10

RTE:6out of 10

Wish it was longer and more reports though.

PS I dont think Lisa lives in Dublin normally she will beam the weather live from LDN!

#16743 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I can quite easily be disappointed after one show. I’m not writing off the whole service. I just think the first show was poor.

Damo I can assure you that I was paying attention to the journalistic content, but the technical difficulties that they were experiencing were a distraction.

The story regarding Bush is weeks away yet, therefore is it news-worthy today?

With regards to the ‘live’ link to Baghdad, my impression was that it wasn’t live.

Sky News is about being different – but it’s basic remit is to provide

news. From what I can tell they didn’t do that well. RTE considers 2 stories important enough to be in their 4 leading stories – Sky didn’t mention these at all! As far as I’m concerned that isn’t good enough.

We were promised in the pre-launch press-release that Grainne would move about the studio. I was pointng out that didn’t really happen.

On the whole I feel I provided a fair and balanced critique, mentioning both the positive and negative. Grainne, Mark Derring, Nick Pollard et al will be doing this to a far greater degree at this moment in time.

#16744 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I I dont think Lisa lives in Dublin normally she will beam the weather live from LDN!

Im sure she dosnt live in Dub normally but she must have flown over for the launch of Sky News Ireland specificly. i REALLY cant imagine how they would do a FAKE live segment.

#16745 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I dont get on with Steven however i do agree partially with him.

PS I dont think Lisa lives in Dublin normally she will beam the weather live from LDN!

I’m disappointed there Newsroom – I thought that we had a healthy ability to debate and disagree!!

Yes I’m aware that Lisa will be based in London, that’s why I mentioned it as a good point – she is good isn’t she?

#16746 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I just think the first show was poor.

To me now , thats just shocking , Are you saying it wasn’t even remotly good? ,

Out of interest Steven , you sound like your from ireland or you have relations here , do you?

#16747 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Out of interest Steven , you sound like your from ireland or you have relations here , do you?

I have relations in Northern Ireland, mother and her family. And I’m considering moving to the Republic. So I’m quite interested in what goes on there.

I can see the signs of a good show, and I’m sure SKy will get it right very soon. I was disappointed, probably because I was expecting so much, it being from Sky News you see.

#16748 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I was disappointed, probably because I was expecting so much, it being from Sky News you see.

I know what you mean , we could go on all night about this, look forward to arguing and debating with you in the near future..

#16749 Reply

AJ
    Participant

I thought the bulletin was good (and yes, I know I’m from wales, but that’s just over the water – easy to get a ferry from Holyhead!)

As for the argument that the first bulletin wasn’t technically good – it does take a week or so to iron out the technical nitty gritty. I liked the use of the different audio beds throughout the show – even noticed the original Sky News beds with the fanfare in them!

As for the relevance of the news, well I wouldn’t really know – but surely if you lived in the area that was being covered, then it would be relevant wouldn’t it – that’s like saying news about London isn’t relevant for me – deal with it – i do.

Nice use of Skycopter, but I feel that the Live from Lisa right at the beginning of the show was a bit pointless – just to say that they’ll have the weather in 25 minutes. Also, I didn’t know that Lisa Burke was a place…

L I V E

LISA BURKE

Anyhoo – my incessant ramblings about nothingness aside, It was a good first show, and a step in the right direction I feel. Would be a nice format for the five bulletins too – quite pacy, but not too rushed.

I wonder if they’re going to launch SN Ireland as a 24 hour service in the future?

#16750 Reply

Steven
    Participant

As for the argument that the first bulleting wasn’t technically good – it does take a week or so to iron out the technical nitty gritty. I liked the use of the different audio beds throughout the show – even noticed the original Sky News beds with the fanfare in them!

Anyhoo – my incessant ramblings about nothingness aside, It was a good first show, and a step in the right direction I feel.  
    I wonder if they’re going to launch SN Ireland as a 24 hour service in the future?

I’m sure that the bods producing and directing will be disappointed – they’ve had plenty of time to iron out the difficulties. I wonder how many rehearsal bullitens there have been?

I’m absolutely 100% behind this service and think it gives SKy News an interesting edge.

I can’t imagine that it’ll be launched 24 hours; there’s an interesting article in mediaguardian about this launch and how it’s not there to make money, infact in it’s current state it probably wont make money.

#16751 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Did you notice at the end of the SNI 7pm bulletin Grainne said”after the break sky news from Dublin”

She should,of course,of said from London

But,we all make mistakes!

#16752 Reply

newshound_ie
    Participant

Well I suppose it was always going to be difficult for the first Sky News Ireland bulletin to live up to the hype and therefore our expectations.

Overall I thought it was a good but not ‘great’ start to the service.

In general I agree with most of the points made earlier by Steven.

* Look & Feel is good – fits in well with the overall Sky News look.

* Grainne did well – although there were a couple of obvious mistakes, I’m sure they were down to first night nerves. She’s generally very professional.

* The story about Dromoland castle, although I’m sure interesting to many, was far too long for a 30 minute nnews bulletin.

* The ‘link’ with Lisa Holland was strange – seemed to be a massive delay between question & answer.

Wonder how the link to Iraq from Dublin was directed. (via London?).

Later link to Ian Woods in the 10 o’clock bulletin to the U.S. was much better.

* Actually, I feel the 10 o’clock bulletin was already an improvment on the launch one.

My main problem was with the stories covered.

The seven o’clock bulletin seemed to contain very little real ‘new’ Irish news.

There was a lot of the “here’s one I prepared earlier” about it.

Certainly the stories about the Luas service and Dromoland castle seemed to have been prepared a long time in advance.

Were SNI really trying to be different to what RTE, TV3 & TG4 were covering even if that was down to ignoring important stories of the day.

I do think things will improve once they get into the full swing of things. i.e. when they cover ‘real’ Irish news stories of the day.

Once they are covering the latest Elections, court cases, financial scandels, murders, etc, it will feel much more relevent.

Here’s to what I hope to be a long and successful journey for Sky News Ireland.

Best of Luck to them.

#16753 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Having watched both bulletins I have to say I was quite impressed. First of all I think its important to compare it to RTE’s 9 O’Clock news or TV3’s 6:30 news rather than comparing to Sky UK or BBC.

It took Sky 30 minutes to show more innovation in news presentation than RTE has in its entire 40+ year history. Use of the helicopter and an outside weather broadcast from central Dublin aswell as the innovative studio and presenting style puts RTE and its massive Licence Fee Budget to shame.

Unfortunately it was a slow news day today in Ireland which meant the Irish stories were not really breaking stories. The Luas, Presidential visit and cross border football stories could have been (and probably were) filmed weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how they handle a big Irish news story that only occurs a couple of hours before broadcast.

It is obvious even after the first night how little resources they are working with – they badly need more Irish based reporters.

Overall presentation and innovation is excellent but content wise RTE is still well ahead (as you would expect them to be). Its a decent start and will get better and better given time and resources. This is only the beginning and its already good.

#16754 Reply

gaja
    Participant

As a Dumb Assed Englishman I found the Sky News Ireland very interesting and informative-I dont know enough about what matters to our Irish cousins. There’s probably no reason why this programme coudn’t be eventually shown on the main Sky News channel, if not twice a night but once.

On a presentation level

Grainne did a great job but looked a bit scared a times

The graphics lacked sharpness

The studio looks very good, Ive never seen an RTE news prog but I understand its a massive imrovement

Overall nice job.

#16755 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

Well, I’m from Ireland and I found last nights initial bulletins quite promising. There were some technical problems and I did think that the stories line up was a bit odd, and the relevancy of a couple of the stories seemed doubtful. But overall, I was quite impressed.

RTE actually do a very good job of getting the days relevant news together, both home news and world news. I read someones post last week where they were claiming that RTE rarely has an international story as one of it’s headline items, and doesn’t focus that much on international news. That’s simply not true. If you watch the ratio of home/international stories on SKY NEWS and the sequencing, I think it’s often the case that SKY NEWS would appear much less international than RTE at times. That though, is not neccessarily a criticsim of SKY NEWS since I watch it a lot and think it’s a first class news service.

In terms of style/appearing less stodgy and rigid/innovation/pacing of the news stories.. and of course sex appeal! SKY NEWS IRELAND is a vast improvement on RTE though. It’s yet to prove that it can be a challenge in terms of news coverage that is of relevance to Irish people and to that I kind of think they would need more resources, but I want to wait and see and I hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Just for the record, I actually hate TV3 news, and never watch it, can anyone tell me how TV3 fare in terms of getting all of the top stories, and how do people think SKY NEWS IRELAND compares to TV3 news bulletins?

Other points I thought were definite plusses for SNI, were the use of SKY’s foreign correspondents and the in-studio piece with Adam Boulton. The use of the SKY helicopter. Lisa live in Dublin (she’s so great!).

I got the impression that last night, basically the team were more concerned in showing the full range of their armoury, so all of the team had a story, foreign correspondents were interviewed, the helicopter was there, current news, items of interest, in studio-interview, viewer poll, … I think the content was seen as not so important as letting people know what they could expect from SNI in the future.

I also think it’s quite exciting that this is gonna be a collaboration between two countries basically, on providing news for Irish people (and of course, any uk people who are interested in watching it). There was a survey about irish people’s attitudes warming towards our uk neighbours after decades of hostility, and I think this sort of thing is another step in the right direction of showing how much we have in common. I’m sure for the team it won’t always be easy taking on board the British slant to news presentation, since all of them come from Irish programming backgrounds, but when the problems are ironed out I think it will have been well worth it.

I thought Eibhlin’s piece was a bit wierd… she talks kind of funny, but.. I did actually like her. I just hope she gets it together a bit more.

Grainne looked great and did a great job. Just… did anyone think that the make up artists had made her look like she had dirt on her cheeks??

Overall a huge thumbs up thogh, and here’s for evermore innovation from SKY NEWS!

#16756 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

1st impression the news looked good! May put RTE / TV3 under pressure to look a little bit better! only real bad thing about the news service was that the news from Ireland was just a little bit thin! but hey its your 1st day and maybe it was a slow news day…. 7 out of 10 for overall effort!

#16757 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Im afraid you simply cannot compare RTE6.1 or 9 news with SNI.

Totally different audience.

Instead comparisons should be made between RTEs News on Two with the lovely Sharon Ni Bheolain usually on somewhere between 10.45pm and 11.25pm and also with TV3News tonight at 10.55pm.

These bulletins will be watched and aimed for the same type of audience..

#16758 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I got the impression that last night, basically the team were more concerned in showing the full range of their armoury, so all of the team had a story, foreign correspondents were interviewed, the helicopter was there, current news, items of interest, in studio-interview, viewer poll, … I think the content was seen as not so important as letting people know what they could expect from SNI in the future.

It looks like you’ve hit the nail on the head there. So much of what we saw will not feature all that regularly; exclusive report, SNI Correspondent filing a report from England, use of the Sky Copter, Lisa Burke live in Dublin, Sky Foreign Correspondent filing an SNI report from a Foreign bureau.

I’m very much looking forward to tonights bulliten to see a more realistic show that will perhaps be a better indication of what we can expect.

#16759 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yes , There were some big breaking irish stories today , such as the Former Ireland Rugby Manager killed in a road crash , and the whole A.I.B Scandal.And the ongoing situation with The Gerry Mcabe Killers. those stories must be in the top headlnes tonight

#16760 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Yes ,  There were some big breaking irish stories today , such as the Former Ireland Rugby  Manager killed in a road crash , and the whole A.I.B Scandal.And the ongoing situation with The Gerry Mcabe Killers. those stories must be in the top headlnes tonight

The interesting thing with the AIB scandal is that was exposed because of Charlie Bird’s investigative report on RTE last week*, if I’m not mistaken.

So Sky would effectively be reporting on a story that RTE exposed! Nevertheless, an important story that they should be covering.

*If I’m incorrect, may I apologise in advance.

#16761 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

No Steven you are correct.

FYI: Chief News Correspondent,Charlie Bird of RTE is one of the most respected and well-thought of and well-known journalists in the Republic.

Yes he did uncover the AIB scandal: maybe SNI will”UNCOVER” some of there own scandals?Who knows?

#16762 Reply

Steven
    Participant

So there we have it, the second night.

On reflection a better feel.

However, still a few technical problems. On two occasions Grainne repeated some of a story. The second time she made reference to it. Without having any of her previous work to reference to I’d say that she is quite nervous.

They look light on Irish news stories. The Westlife peice at the end was quite good.

Overall, an improvement – but work still to be done.

#16763 Reply

Steven
    Participant

The interesting thing with the AIB scandal is that was exposed because of Charlie Bird’s investigative report on RTE last week.

So Sky would effectively be reporting on a story that RTE exposed!  Nevertheless, an important story that they should be covering.

So indeed it was mentioned in the round-up section. I think SKy got that right. RTE seem to be hanging onto this story for as long as they can. Their Chief News Correspondent is using all of his time to cover it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
Reply To: Sky News Ireland – It's launched!!
Your information: