Sky News Ireland

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News Ireland

This topic contains 59 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Steven
    Participant
    #14951 Reply

Steven
    Participant

So this has all been fairly quiet recently. Can anybody throw any more light on what’s going on with this bulletin? I personally am very interested and think it’s potentially a very exciting development (to be eclipsed in January when Sky start providing content for 5 News).

Ray Kennedy, recruited as part of the team, has done a report today. What about the other reporters, are they now on board? Indeed, have they finished their previous roles? Is the dublin bereau up and running? How do the current Ireland Correspondents and the Belfast bereau fit into the grand scheme of things? And when do we get tot see this show?

#14952 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Virtually all of the reporters are now on board and out and about at news events, going back to base, editing up packages etc, even though they’re not actually going to air. The only exception may be Brian Daly who was still on-air on TV3 news up to last Friday anyway. I also heard that TV3 have invoked Grainne Seoige’s non-performance clause – this was a clause in her contract that on leaving TV3 she would not work for another broadcast media organisation for a specified time period. The rumours vary from 2 to 6 months on what it is. Anyway I don’t know how that’ll effect Sky’s plans. Being honest they’ve been swopping and changing everything anyway – we now know there will be three dedicated Irish bulletins daily – either 5pm, 7pm, 10pm or 12:30pm, 7pm and 9:30 pm as I say it’s all very chopping and changing. Latest date I heard for air was early May but that has slowly progressed to that from mid March which was the original date being aimed for.

#14953 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

I also heard that TV3 have invoked Grainne Seoige’s non-performance clause – this was a clause in her contract that on leaving TV3 she would not work for another broadcast media organisation for a specified time period.

I?d say that TV3 are not very impressed by the forthcoming Sky News Irish bulletins, so are making life hard for Gr?inne. TV3 even stopped her last scheduled appearance reading the news, so she didn?t get to say a public goodbye. ? The fact that after poaching Gr?inne Seoige, Sky News came back to TV3 and nicked Brian Daly and Jerome Hughes probably didn?t help matters either! I?m sure TV3 saw it as a revenge attack of some sort on them by Sky. (The bosses of TV3 having been very critical of Sky?s operations in Ireland, as they are not regulated in Ireland. With TV3 claiming that Sky doesn?t play by the same rules as TV3 and RT? have to, and have even sought help from the Irish Government in changing this situation, claiming that Sky are taking money out of Ireland and are putting nothing back.) So the Gr?inne Seoige situation seems like sour grapes to me.

Maybe Sky News should schedule their Irish news bulletins for 6.30pm and 11.00pm and go up against the main TV3 news bulletins, just for the craic!

#14954 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky have announced its newsgathering team.

News Editor Joe Walsh and Deputy News Editor Sally O’Herlihy will be responsible for the news output of Sky News Ireland?s evening bulletins, anchored by Gr?inne Seoige.

Prior to joining Sky News Ireland Joe Walsh produced The Last Word for Today FM. Before moving to Today FM in 2003 he produced and edited the Breakfast Show with David McWilliams on Newstalk106.

Joe began his broadcast career at TV3 in 1999 where he produced TV3?s breakfast programme, Ireland AM. Joe began his career as a journalist as a freelance reporter in Kilkenny before joining the Echo Group in Wexford as a staff reporter. Educated in Kilkenny, Joe graduated from University College Dublin with a BA Special in Politics and Economics and an MA in Comparative Political Systems.

Sally began her career in broadcast journalism on Today FM?s The Last Word, and moved rapidly from researcher to senior researcher to assistant producer. In between she spent a spell in Scotland as a News presenter and reporter on Grampian Television, and worked as a producer on The Sunday Business Show on Today FM.

A postgraduate of the Dublin Institute of Technology where she completed an MA in Film Production, Sally graduated from Dublin City University with a BA in Communication Studies.

Sally is a keen swimmer and has been national Irish Swimming Champion on nine occasions, and Captain of the Irish National Swimming team.

Sky News Ireland?s evening bulletins will launch in late spring

#14955 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Will we see a dedicated section for Ireland in this forum, similar to the Australia section?

#14956 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Will we see a dedicated section for Ireland in this forum, similar to the Australia section?

Maybe – there seems to be many members here from Ireland so it would probably be a good idea – Although the Ireland output is set to be only half-hour a day.

I do have plans to make a Ireland section on the main part of the site like the Australia section…

Just keep your eyes peel.

#14957 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

Although the Ireland output is set to be only half-hour a day.

Yeah, a couple of short bulletins are not really the same as a separate channel like the ‘Sky News Australia’ channel. However it would still be nice to see a special section to cater for the Irish Sky News fans that are here, as well as anyone else interested in the Sky News Ireland service.

Just keep your eyes peel.

Bring it on Johnnie!

#14958 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

This appeared on Saturdays (10-4-2004) Dublin Evening Herald:Have a good read of it the main points are highlighted

Sky News Ireland will not be going head-to-head with rivals RTE and TV3 when it launches its new service next month.

It was initally believed that the sky bulletins would compete directly with the established Irish channels. However it has emerged it is to broadcast daily 30 minute slots at 7pm and 10pm instead.The timing avoids clashes with RTE and TV3’S main weekday news services.

RTE broadcasts its news bulletins at 1PM, 6PM and 9PM. TV3 broadcasts its news at 5.30PM, 6.30PM AND 11PM.

Former TV3 news anchor grainne Seoige will present the bulletins which will feature Irish News and Sport.

The Irish weather forecast will be beamed from the UK however, but it will be presented by Irish girl Lisa Burke, who has already made a name of herself on the stations British broadcasts. Studio rehersals for the new Irish bulletins are to begin next week, with technicians working on lighting and cameras to ensure everything looks slick when the service is launched on May 8th.“Everybody will be getting used to the systems that will be in place so that it all runs smoothly from the beginning.” said a source.

The sky journalists will be filming and editing their own stories and have been training in the various techniques for a few weeks now.

RTE still boasts higher news ratings than SKY or TV3, but the Irish Sky bulletins will be available to more than two thirds of all households via cable/MMDS or satelite.

The Irish studio will be based in Dublin City Centre, and will be able to take advantage of a network of correspondants around the world.

So that clears up a few things. I know theres controversy because reports over here suggests Bertie Ahern will unveil the new service this month.

Sure who knows what will happen

By the way I’M tom It’s my first time by Sky News is with out a doubt the no.1 news channel.

#14959 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Great info, thanks…..at last we are seeing some movement

#14960 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yep, great to hear that some dates & times have been announced, lookin’ forward to the launch now.

#14961 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The Irish bulltins are set to go live on Monday 10th May 2004 – 7pm and 10pm.

#14962 Reply

Barrynews
    Participant

Here in Dublin,the hype is huge bout the new sky news.

Grainne is great -u uk ppl will love her!

75%of Ireland receive SKY NEWS already and it is popular only for international news.

Hopefully this will change.

Also Juliette Foster and Emma Crosby rockm and wud work great 2gether!

Barrynews!!

#14963 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yes, the very first live transmission from the Dublin Studios has just aired shortly after eight this morning.

Adam mentioned in his report the fact he was making history as the first ever live broadcast fron the Irish studio, as well as plugging the upcoming service.

Studio is semi circular, with a large plasma,and light blue walls as well as a large rectangular image running along the background.

There is a dark red band with the Sky News Ireland logo running along on the background also.

Sorry I have no facilities to take screenshots although I did manage to save it in my Sky+box

So there we go!!!

#14964 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sunday with Adam Boulton came from the new Ireland studio.

#14965 Reply

Steven
    Participant

So I was wondering. It’s perfectly feasible that the top 3 stories, for the Irish audience, on any given day, could be the same as the Sky News UK output. SNUK will therefore already have reports, probably from top notch correspondents, running.

So does SNI take those reports, the are obviously of high production, editorial and journalistic skill and content. The ordinary Joe in Ireland who’s tuning in to try SNI, particularly in the early days, isn’t going to be too impressed; they’ll think that it’s just SNUK with an Irish presenter. How are the editorial staff going to deal with this? Use the same packages with voice-overs from the SNI correspondents/reporters? Switch the running order, surely not?

Perhaps some of the guys on this forum who are from Ireland could let us know how often stories of an International, or even UK, flavour feature as the top stories (specific examples would be good) and therefore how often the scenario I presented above would be a reality.

#14966 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

No there are PLENTY of Irish only stories that UK ppl would not be interested–Irish govt,killings,etc,etc these will definetly be on as ther are 3 reporters and then take some stuff from UK.

Also,were u suggesting that Irish reporters arent of high journalistic content?? I can tell u they are.

#14967 Reply

Steven
    Participant

No there are PLENTY of Irish only stories that UK ppl would not be interested–Irish govt,killings,etc,etc these will definetly be on as ther are 3 reporters and then take some stuff from UK.

Also,were u suggesting that Irish reporters arent of high journalistic content?? I can tell u they are.

Well, let me deal with your second point. Lisa Holland, in Baghdad, is better placed to provide a more authorititve report than Ray Kennedy in Dublin.

Andrew Wilson can provide a more comprehensive report than Brian Daly at the Dublin bereau.

What I’m saying with reference to your first point is that I’m sure that there are plenty of Ireland only interest stories. However, there must be occasions where the big stories of the day will be dominated by international events and therefore the Sky News (not specific to SNUK or SNI) correspondents will provide reports.

Lastly, if you were to look at my previous posts you’ll see that I’m quite keen and interested to see this bulliten. I see it as quite an important development for Sky News. This particular thread was not intended to be hostile, I’m sure if you were to read it again you would see that.

I have many more points to make on this development, but will wait until after the launch.

#14968 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Steven my understanding is that Brian Daly and Eibhlin and Ray will be reoporting on IRISH STORIES in IRELAND!

iNTERnational stories will be covered normally as they are now!

As far as i know but we will find out in more detail on May 10th.

PS Steven if you want to see good journalistic work Charlie Bird and Margaret Ward are certainly as good as Emma Hurd.

#14969 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Steven my understanding is that Brian Daly and Eibhlin and Ray will be reoporting on IRISH STORIES in IRELAND!

iNTERnational stories will be covered normally as they are now!

So further to that point then. If it happens that on a praticular day there is alot of international stories, we could see the first 3 reports on SNI being from Sky’s international correspondents, therfore creating the impression amongst ordinary Joe in Ireland that SNI is just Sky News with an Irish presenter.

#14970 Reply

Steven
    Participant

PS Steven if you want to see good journalistic work Charlie Bird and Margaret Ward are certainly as good as Emma Hurd.

I couldn’t possibly deny that. I don’t have a clue who either of those 2 are.

#14971 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

THeyre from RTE-really they are brilliant!

Well maybe create an impression but every1 whos anyone in Ireland knos abt the new news studio etc so ya maybe an impressionm but nothing more.

Most days irish news would be 1st

#14972 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

It is very rare that an international story will make the no.1 story in RTE’s evening news. Only really big international stories will make the top story in Ireland.

For example Sky’s current top three stories right now are

1 Army abuse photos

2 Royal Mail

3 UK Local elections

None of these stories will be big in any Irish TV or Radio news today, the army abuse photos will be mentioned but it won’t be reported in depth.

#14973 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying that alive and kicking-im also frm dublin-but steven does not seem to understand that our own Irish news is NB to us and will make the top stories.

Exemptions would be things Like 9/11,etc/Barry

#14974 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Limerick’s Live 95fm and Sky news have entered a unique partnership.

Sky News Ireland’s West of Ireland Bureau is to be based in the offices of Live 95fm on the Dock Road in the city.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Sky News Ireland
Your information: