Sky News International

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News International

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Martin Phillp 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

HBox
    Participant
    #30215 Reply

HBox
    Participant

This may have been discussed before, I’m not sure.

But I’ve been thinking that Sky should have a specific glocal news channel, Sky News International, or Sky World etc. On this international version would be specific strands from different parts of the world, for example, an Asian bulletin, a US belletin and so on. An international financial business programme.

Whilst Sky News as it is would return more to previous forms, still keeping indepth programmes like The Sky Report, but go the whole way, instead of this half hearted stuff we get at the moment. Sky Report doesn’t really have any different content to the rest of the day. World news on this channel would be reduced to 30 mins at say 20:30.

Sky News International could utilise the facilities of Sky News Australia, and also set up studios in Washington, Hong Kong. This is of course purely discussion, and budgets wouldn’t currently support it, but what do people think about it.

#30216 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

Isn’t Sky broadcasted to over 40 countries? With BBC World and CNN, is there a real market for another world news channel?

#30217 Reply

st1407
    Participant

Why an international version? SKY News provides news from around the world.
    At the moment I hate CNN, because of all the special shows like World News Asia, World News Europe, CNN Today, ….
    10 years ago there were also these shows – but at not so many hours. This is terrible.

#30218 Reply

jk80
    Participant

st1407 wrote:Why an international version? SKY News provides news from around the world.
    At the moment I hate CNN, because of all the special shows like World News Asia, World News Europe, CNN Today, ….
    10 years ago there were also these shows – but at not so many hours. This is terrible.

That’s the very reason I like CNN, no “cat stuck up tree” parochial stories of little consequence.

#30219 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

I can’t see this being a viable option at the moment.
    I think that SKY should sort out their own problems with the UK Eire output before thinking global domination.
    They may consider this in the distant future though.

#30220 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

I dont see the point to be honest. Sky News focuses on domestic UK news which really has no relevance to anyone but Brits.
    CNNI is international news, BBCW is essentially world news.

Sky News Australia recently lodged a tender bid with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to operate the Asia Pacific Channel – which they have since lost.
    The channel provides Australian news to expats in the Asia Pacific region and also as Australia is an important country in the region – a voice and education service.

The ABC retained the tender, so there went Sky News Australia’s bid to launch an Asian news channel into Japan, China, Singapore, Fiji, Indonesia etc.

Sky News Australia is available in New Zealand, and like Sky News Ireland, Sky News AU produces local NZ bulletins in the form of Prime News.

Perhaps maybe 5 years down the track when Sky News New Zealand is fully operational, Sky UK, Sky News NZ and Sky News Australia can team up and make an international service.

#30221 Reply

AJ
    Participant

There was talk of launching a Sky News channel in the USA a few years ago, but this was blocked by Fox News.

#30222 Reply

HBox
    Participant

AJ wrote:There was talk of launching a Sky News channel in the USA a few years ago, but this was blocked by Fox News.

Yeah, I remember that. They obviously felt threatened. There was also talks some years ago of Sky and CBS joining forces to create a dedicated international news service/channel. I’m sure that is unlikely at the moment, but would be interesting nonetheless.

HBOX

#30223 Reply

skylark
    Participant

I think Sky News has enough problems without worrying about another channel. They need to get their house in order first. This weekend presenters have been doing 12 hour days.

#30224 Reply

Damian
    Participant

skylark wrote:I think Sky News has enough problems without worrying about another channel. They need to get their house in order first. This weekend presenters have been doing 12 hour days.

Presenters here on Sky News Au/NZ do 6 hour shifts… and many do it solo, think of the work.

#30225 Reply

Martin Phillp
    Participant

The existing Sky News should be kept as a service for ex-pats and holidaymakers abroad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Sky News International
Your information: