Sky moving off freeview

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky moving off freeview

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  DDP 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #33561 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

BSkyB’s new DTT pay-TV offering will use compression technology to squeeze four services out of the spectrum currently used by its three Freeview channels – Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News.

Customers will pay a monthly subscription to get the service through a conventional rooftop aerial and a digital TV box.

To access the service, customers will have to buy a new set-top box that includes the relevant conditional access software and MPEG4 decoder – suggesting it will not be available via existing Freeview DTT receivers.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor…2008782,00.html

#33562 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Confirmed: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?…&highlight=

#33563 Reply

Lone
    Participant

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for posting that Johnnie.

#33564 Reply

st1407
    Participant

Does that also mean, that they will remove SKY News from Astra satellite system in Europe?

If that will be true, good night to SKY News.

Does anyone know?

#33565 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Controller of BBC News 24, Kevin Bakhurst…

Double-edged sword

It emerged late yesterday that from the Spring, if Ofcom approves, Sky News will no longer be available free to viewers on Freeview.

They currently get around 845,000 viewers a week on this platform out of their weekly total of 4 million. For us at the BBC, I think this is a double-edged sword.

Sky have already rather given up on viewing figures as BBC News 24 has moved substantially ahead of them (6 million a week versus 4 million). Whereas, a few years ago audience size was their preferred measure of success, it has now been quietly dropped. The move on Freeview will almost certainly be another big blow to their audience size.

I can fully understand why Rupert Murdoch and BSkyB have taken this decision on commercial grounds alone: you can make money out of movies and sport but not easily from news. However, I do think it’s a real shame for TV News coverage in the UK.

We are very fortunate to have two thriving 24-hour TV News channels and I firmly believe competition is a good thing for the audience. Sky’s decision will be a bad thing for news audiences, particularly those who can’t afford subscription services and choose Freeview for that reason. I would just say that for us at BBC News 24, we put immense value on our audiences and their views – and will continue to do so whatever platform they watch us on.

| Read blog >>>

#33566 Reply

skynewsfan18
    Participant

i cant belive they are getting rid of sky news of freeview i think its stupid my favrouite news channel was itv new channel then that got axed and now they are getting rid of sky news why???????????????????????????????????????????????????
    i refuse to watch news24 its okay if u r about 50 but i ent i cant belive it how stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

#33567 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

I think it is bad news. There is not that much on freeview anyway without losing the Sky channels. Luckily I have sky so can still watch Sky News

#33568 Reply

jimbo
    Participant

Did I also hear that they are moving off NTL/Virgin cable platform?

#33569 Reply

Lone
    Participant

What I’m wondering is who the hell is gonna take out a subscription for what are effectively several ex-freeview channels?

#33570 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

According to the Media Guardian. James Murdoch is visiting Sky News today to try to explain the decision about leaving Freeview

#33571 Reply

jk80
    Participant

Lone wrote:What I’m wondering is who the hell is gonna take out a subscription for what are effectively several ex-freeview channels?

It won’t be the same three channels, Sky will be replacing SN, SSN and S3 with new channels featuring premium content currently only available to satellite subscribers.

#33572 Reply

Lone
    Participant

jk80 wrote:It won’t be the same three channels, Sky will be replacing SN, SSN and S3 with new channels featuring premium content currently only available to satellite subscribers.

I see. So does anyone know what the new package will consist of?

#33573 Reply

jk80
    Participant

Lone wrote:(jk80 @ Feb 23 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]18498[/snapback]

It won’t be the same three channels, Sky will be replacing SN, SSN and S3 with new channels featuring premium content currently only available to satellite subscribers.

I see. So does anyone know what the new package will consist of?

I don’t think they have announced exactly what it will be and how much it will cost, but you will need a new box to access it and it will feature things like Sky One shows, Premiership football and so on.

#33574 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Sky now moving off Virgin Media too?

Digital Spy: According to a statement from Virgin Media, Sky is to pull its basic channels from the cable operator’s platform at the end of the month.

Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News will be removed from the Virgin Media service following the breakdown of talks last night. Virgin claimed this morning that Sky were asking for double the previous rate for the cable company to carry the channels.

A statement from Virgin Media this morning said that “following an intensive series of meetings over the last week,” it anticipated a withdrawal of these channels by Sky at the end of February.

It went on to say: “The nature of these negotiations leads us to believe that this outcome has been deliberately engineered by Sky in order to suppress competition and coerce Virgin Media’s customers into switching to its service by denying them access to the basic channels.

“This view is reinforced by Sky’s decision to broadcast, at the height of negotiations on 12 February, a series of promotions claiming that the channels were about to disappear from Virgin Media’s network. This was nothing more than a heavy-handed attempt to exert undue influence on the negotiating process.”

The negotiations do not impact Sky’s premium sports and movies channels which will continue to be available to Virgin Media customers.

#33575 Reply

Lone
    Participant

Asking Virgin to cough double the previous rate is well out of order, but just the sort of thing I’d expect from Murdoch and co.

#33576 Reply

DDP
    Participant

I can’t believe so many people have their eyes closed. Don’t you think it’s quite strange how both were announced in the same week? Cable viewers favorite shows no longer on the biggest cable company (Skys’ biggest subscription base rival), and no Sky services on Freeview from the summer.

All Sky wants is more viewers to subscribe to its overpriced satellite services. Have you noticed the massive increase in the number of adverts for Sky (especially for the broadband service, another grab at Virgin Media and their subscription base) all of a sudden in the past month? Sky is simply limiting the viewers choices so they can rape your pocket as per usual

If OFCOM go against Sky, they’ll still probably pull everything off of Freeview as it doesn’t make any money off the platform AFAIK

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Sky moving off freeview
Your information: