Sky City TV?

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky City TV?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dodrade 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

PJMulholland
    Participant
    #25162 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

I’ve often thought when looking at the news landscape of the UK that there exists a gap in the provision of services. We have national and regional bulletins, but no city services. When you look at other parts of the world (particulary N America) you can see that local news is usually organised around local cities.

I know when I watch my own local show on the BBC here in Liverpool (NorthWest Tonight) a large part of the show is taken up with stories I have NO interest in ie Manchester, Lancashire, Cumbria etc.

Why Haven’t Sky seen this gap in the market and moved in on it. I’m sure a “Sky News Liverpool” or “Sky News London” would go down very well.

I know the argument will be made that the economics of it don’t work but I have a hard time believing that. If Ireland with 4m can have regional opt outs, why can’t places like London and Birmingham – 7 & 4M respectively.

There is also every reason to believe more tailored local services would actually attract new viewers and grow the overall market.

I for one would quite fancy seeing a Sky News desk with the Liver Building in the background

#25163 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Because again it would be vastly unprofitable and the BBC will piloting this idea in Worcestershire, using the digital interactive service to view local bulletins broadcast from the city.

#25164 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

The cost. Far far far far too expensive. Sky’s audience is tiny. And you need a seperate channel on the transponder for each regional service. Have you never watched local news? There isn’t even enough going on a region let alone just a single city to justify city bulletins. Ireland have their own bulletin probably because Sky News are a foreign broadcaster in Ireland but yet Sky is the satellite provider in Ireland. And don’t you think Scotland deserves a bulletin before somewhere like Liverpool does?

#25165 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

NEWSBOY2+Jun 2 2005, 12:44 PM–>(NEWSBOY2 @ Jun 2 2005, 12:44 PM)
    Because again it would be vastly unprofitable and the BBC will piloting this idea in Worcestershire, using the digital interactive service to view local bulletins broadcast from the city.

I am aware of the BBC trials. However isnt this going to take the form of elemental 15 minute bulletins only available through the red button?
    Hardly “City TV”

As for profitability, I do remember when SkyDigital was about to launch Sky sent me a questionaire which asked what sort of new channels I would like, one of the options was for city tv stations.
    I also remember there were rumours around at the time of a link up with ITV, using the regional news infrastructure of their local franchises.
    I don’t know what became of all that talk, but had it been a total non-runner I doubt the subject would have been raised in the first place.

#25166 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 2 2005, 12:46 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 2 2005, 12:46 PM)
    The cost. Far far far far too expensive. Sky’s audience is tiny. And you need a seperate channel on the transponder for each regional service. Have you never watched local news? There isn’t even enough going on a region let alone just a single city to justify city bulletins. Ireland have their own bulletin probably because Sky News are a foreign broadcaster in Ireland but yet Sky is the satellite provider in Ireland. And don’t you think Scotland deserves a bulletin before somewhere like Liverpool does?

I’d like to know where you are from David, wherever it is it isnt anywhere round my parts. There is PLENTY going on in Liverpool, and much pent up demand for local news and entertainment (the local BBC radio station is the most listened to in the country)

As for Scotland, yes I do think it deserves its own station, but I don’t see it as a case of choosing it as one over the other. I’m curious why you would?

#25167 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Ok, im not getting into the regional debate. It’s covered by the BBC and ITV. There isn’t the demand for it for Sky to do and seeing as they only have a 0.7% share it is commercial suicide. Anyone who knows anything about television will agree.

#25168 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 06:10 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:10 PM)
    Ok, im not getting into the regional debate.

Fine, but you were the one who brought it up.

As for “commercial suicide” that is only the case so long as a cabel of Londoncentric media outfits are allowed to hog marketshare.

#25169 Reply

AJ
    Participant

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 07:14 PM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 07:14 PM)

Actually – YOU brought it up with the subject of the topic.

Moron.

#25170 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Well pointed out AJ.

#25171 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

AJ+Jun 3 2005, 08:10 PM–>(AJ @ Jun 3 2005, 08:10 PM)

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 07:14 PM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 07:14 PM)

Moron.

This does beg the question why anyone would post in such a thread in the first place then.

BTW moderators insulting members. Classy.

#25172 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

Haven’t we been through all this before?

#25173 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Moron.

Actually Mr Mulholland began the topic talking about City services, there is a clear distinction between this and regional.

Pratt

#25174 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

<_ < In other news…

#25175 Reply

HBox
    Participant

Steven+Jun 4 2005, 12:19 PM–>(Steven @ Jun 4 2005, 12:19 PM)

Moron.

Actually Mr Mulholland began the topic talking about City services, there is a clear distinction between this and regional.

Pratt

Well, PJMulholland (forgive me if I spelt your name wrong, but I don’t really care) has an ally.

And regardless of whether there is a distinction between regional and city news broadcasts, the same point applies, cost and lack of viewer demand.

I admit that it would be nice to have regionl/city news from Sky, but lets face it, this isn’t the US where true city broadcasts is fesable because of the size of the country. In this country, any major news story, regardless of where it is, will be picked up and broadcast on the nationwide news channels.

#25176 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

HBox+Jun 4 2005, 05:45 PM–>(HBox @ Jun 4 2005, 05:45 PM)

Well, PJMulholland (forgive me if I spelt your name wrong, but I don’t really care) has an ally.

And regardless of whether there is a distinction between regional and city news broadcasts, the same point applies, cost and lack of viewer demand.

I admit that it would be nice to have regionl/city news from Sky, but lets face it, this isn’t the US where true city broadcasts is fesable because of the size of the country.  In this country, any major news story, regardless of where it is, will be picked up and broadcast on the nationwide news channels.

You really don’t care?!? Well, I must say, I am deeping deeply wounded by such a remark. In any case….

I visited Ireland recently and was surprised just how much local content they managed to produce over there. OK, RTE is state funded, but most of the adverts were original productions and Irish home grown shows enjoyed some of the highest viewing figures.

A hundred London based consultants can claim whatever they wish about the viability of true city tv services, Ireland I believe reveals the lie of this established wisdom.

As for demand, I guess it might not work if they tried to do Sussex TV or whatever, but for a clutch of cities in this country with a 1m+ population and a distinct culture I believe the demand is there.

“Channel One” here in Liverpool was on air for a good eight years or so and was only closed in the end because it didn’t fit in the overall newsprint dominated strategy of its parent company.

#25177 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Moron.

Pratt

Isn’t that being teeny weeny bit pedantic, either way it’s an opt-out.

Isn’t Ireland a country and not a city?

#25178 Reply

HBox
    Participant

I don’t live in London, yet my opinion still stands.

Sky isn’t state funded, and for them to launch such an endeavour there would have to be a damn good reason, otherwise they would lose a lot of money. It’s just good business sense.

Maybe you should be having a go at the BBC for having crud regional news, seeing as they are the ones who charge us to watch TV in the first place.

#25179 Reply

Steven
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 4 2005, 11:16 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 4 2005, 11:16 PM)

Moron.

Pratt

Isn’t that being teeny weeny bit pedantic, either way it’s an opt-out.

Isn’t Ireland a country and not a city?

I was being ironic . . .

Ireland is indeed a country, not a region.

#25180 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

[quote=Steven,Jun 5 2005, 07:31 PM] [QUOTE=daved2424,Jun 4 2005, 11:16 PM]

Ireland is indeed a country, not a region.

RTE news covers much the same stories as BBC, ITV, Sky et al. If the republic was not a separate state, I don’t think Ireland as a region could support its own opt out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Sky City TV?
Your information: