Rachel Amatt is leaving

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Rachel Amatt is leaving

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  gaja 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #19395 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

mediaguardian+–>(mediaguardian)
    Channel 4 News has poached Sky News reporter Rachel Amatt, who was reporting from inside the school in Beslan last month when it was stormed by Russian special forces, to be its North of England correspondent.
    Amatt will join Channel 4 News in November and is to be based at the Leeds bureau operated by independent production company Chamelon Television.

As well as filing stories for Channel 4 News at Noon, Amatt will be working with Chamelon on longer form news features and investigations for the network’s flagship evening news bulletin.

“Much as I have been very happy at Sky, this was just too good an opportunity to turn down,” she said.

The Channel 4 News deputy editor, Martin Fewell, said Amatt “had a big role to play” and “will be a real asset to the programme”.

During the bloody climax to the Beslan school siege last month, when more than 300 hostages died after Chechen rebels let off explosive devises, Amatt was on the spot reporting live as Russian special forces troops moved in and the casualties – including many young children – were brought out.

Observer TV critic Peter Conrad later said Amatt sounded terrified and was “hyperventilating her way through the commentary”, adding that Sky News bosses might have sent her to Beslan thinking “that a woman would be a more emotionally ingratiating witness”.

However, Channel 4 News’ international editor, Lindsay Hilsum, came to Amatt’s defence in the Observer letters page: “Maybe Sky News sent Rachel Amatt because she is a good reporter, who happened to be staffing the Moscow bureau at the time. Maybe Rachel Amatt didn’t sound ‘terrified’, it’s just that Peter Conrad thought she did, because he was alarmed to see a woman in a dangerous place.”

Amatt has covered some of the biggest domestic stories in recent years during her time at Sky News, including the Soham murders, the deaths of Victoria Climbie and Damilola Taylor, and the Stansted hijack. She has also reported from Jerusalem and Washington

#19396 Reply

Hullo
    Participant

Sky’s loss is the north of England’s gain. Even before Beslan I thought she was just about the best of the bunch.

#19397 Reply

Hello
    Participant

Hullo+Oct 11 2004, 12:11 PM–>(Hullo @ Oct 11 2004, 12:11 PM)
    Sky’s loss is the north of England’s gain. Even before Beslan I thought she was just about the best of the bunch.

You took the words out of my mouth

#19398 Reply

hamishnewhouse
    Participant

Right……….i’m moving to Leeds!

SKY please keep her!!!!!!!!!

I love Rachel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck at Channel 4!!!!!!!!!!

#19399 Reply

Easty
    Participant

She will be a very big miss. I hope Michelle Cliford replaces her.

#19400 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Never heard of that jerk from the Observer. Bet the most dangerous place he’s ever been is his local pub at closing time.

Good luck Rachel. Hope you get what you want out of joining C4.
    I guess she didn’t get offered the Africa foreign correspondent job then, and Emma Hurd’s not moving from Jerusalem by the look of it, so she felt she needed a new challenge.

#19401 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

Good for Rachel. I think Channel 4 will suit her right down to the ground. B)

#19402 Reply

Alloneword
    Participant

Mad to let her go Sky she is ace.

Good luck to her in the future

#19403 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Easty+Oct 11 2004, 06:36 PM–>(Easty @ Oct 11 2004, 06:36 PM)
    She will be a very big miss. I hope Michelle Cliford replaces her.

Isn’t Michelle senior to Rachel????

#19404 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Sky are small. Not many reporters there who could or would do the “Beslan” type reporting.
    Wonder if Stuart Ramsay will do that sort of work, along with DC and…who else? Which of the younger crowd? Rachel may be junior to Michelle Clifford (who knows); Michelle worked in Afghanistan but has she been abroad doing tough assignments since? (q, not a criticism).
    OK yes, I know you’ll say Iraq in April 03 but that was after the “war” (the official bombardment version, not the ongoing one…).

#19405 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I agree it is a sore loss that she’s leaving. Who do we get to replace her?

I do think that sky have a good handful of reporters willing to take risks.

David Bowden, David Chatter, Stuart Ramsy, Tim Marshall (I’d like to see him on the front line more). Actually, I’d like to see Sky hire Peter Arnett.

Maybe Georgy Arnolds will go out on field?

#19406 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Should this thread be in the past tense now?

#19407 Reply

Steven
    Participant

FYI, Rachel is reporting on Channel 4 News this evening. I believe this is the first time on 4 for Rachel.

#19408 Reply

gaja
    Participant

No she started last week. Can’t remember what she reported on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Rachel Amatt is leaving
Your information: