Nick Pollard quits

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Nick Pollard quits

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Johnnie 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

philg
    Participant
    #30051 Reply

philg
    Participant

Matt Wells is reporting in the Media Guardian that Nick Pollard (head of Sky News) is to quit in September. The reasons seem to be the shaky relaunch and refusal to look at budget cuts. He is set to be replaced by his deputy John Ryley. To be honest, it looks as though Sky were slowly writing some of the relaunch wrongs, 3 presenters, ridiculously long headlines on SNT with what is coming up being given more importance than the top stories etc, and this will probably be continued if Pollard goes.

More:
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/2…usted.html#more

#30052 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I can confirm that this story is very true and a Statement is likely to be made soon..

If Pollard refused to look at budget cuts and isn’t leaving till September (4 months time), surely he’ll have to action some of these cuts before he leaves.

Obviously, he’s already started by cutting the 3 presenters down to 2, which now looks like a decision beyond Nicks control.

#30053 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Everyone at Sky will be very sad to see Nick Pollard go. He has been a first class journalist, manager and leader and an inspiration to all of the staff. The only comfort, if true, is that John Ryley will be taking over. He’s well respected, considered a bit bonkers but touched by genius. Sky will be in safe hands….

Ryley is standing behind Adrian Wells the foreign editor in the photo.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/0311…editor_sky_news

#30054 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Mr Pollard said: “Being Head of Sky News is, in my view, the best job in broadcast journalism and I have had a fantastic ten years doing it. We have won numerous awards for our coverage of the momentous stories that have marked this past decade and have been responsible for every significant innovation within our industry. I am enormously proud of what we have achieved.”

Dawn Airey, Sky’s Managing Director, Channels and Services, added: “Guided by his wisdom, tenaciousness and energy, Sky News has established itself as a world-class 24-hour news service. I’m extremely proud of Nick’s achievements but I understand and respect his decision that after ten years of 6am starts, he has decided to take a break and seek new challenges.”

James Murdoch, Sky’s Chief Executive, said he was an “outstanding” leader. “Few people could claim to have done more than Nick Pollard to transform television news in this country.”

#30055 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Nick Pollard on Broadcasting: http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2259499.ece – he talks about how brilliant Martin Brunt is for Sky News.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Nick Pollard quits
Your information: