NI Bank Raid

Forums Forums TV Newsroom NI Bank Raid

This topic contains 28 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author

tippguy
    Participant
    #23612 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

See the full story – http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13300915,00.html

I think that Sky News Ireland and its reporters have covered this story very well since it broke yesterday. Both Eibhlin and Jonathan Healy have handled the questions from the UK Presenters fairly well although you could tell they were nervous. In the space of a year Jonathan Healy has gone from a city radio presenter to a reporting live on one of the worlds best news channels. What did you guys in England think of their reporting?

I taought SNI’s coverage was unbelievable at 10 last night. I lost count of the number of live reports they had. they were live in cork, dublin and belfast on numerous occasions. The only problem was at half ten it was all over. If they had another half hour they could of shown all the other stories from that day which had been shown at seven. these stories were thrown in the bin for the 10pm show but another half hours coverage and we would of been able to see these stories aswell. Sharon Ni Bheolain only had about five min’s coverage on news on 2. Sky’s was far better!

And if sky invested a 24-Hour Irish service well then they would certinly boost their ratings. Today when the gardai were giving their live interview in dublin sky news were over 3 minutes ahead of rte(irelands national tv station) with the speech. RTE were telling their viewers that they were live when it was quite obvious they were not. If sky had rolling news in Ireland people would certinly watch it.

WELL DONE SKY!!

#23613 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

I am absolutly discusded now to see that Gary Honeford is now live in Cork calling himself Ireland Correspondant. He shows up on tv once in a blue moon and still keeps that title. what was eibhlin doing wrong and why was he put on the job?? She knows just as much about the story as he does. hes based over 250 miles from Cork and eibhlin is just based 50 miles away. It doesn’t make any sence he has to travel over 6 hours to get to Cork while she can be there in an hour. its an absolute disgrase!!

#23614 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Tippguy, I didn’t read all you said in that message, because I’m just about to run out the door (apologies) but I gathyer its the usual pro-Sky News Ireland stuff. I have to say that SNI’s reporting of the bank raid is terrible. RT? have had much much better coverage, as have TV3 believe it or not. I mean, if you go back to the Garda questions earlier, RT?’s Paul Reynolds was asking most of the questions. I watched Sky News @ 9PM last night and they hadn’t even made a report by then. Sky News are way behind RT? on this topic.

#23615 Reply

stephen from kerry
    Participant

either way sf are in serious electoral trouble. SNI 24 HOURS DON’T THINK SO.

#23616 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

but mrbyrne in that interview the guy who said nothing gave out to paul renolds for asking to much questions so i dont get your point. its nearly always the case that the national tv station gets the first question. renolds just taought it was a one on one interview. hes not used to so many reporters. i dont understand how sky are behind on the coverage. rte are more behind 3 minutes to be exact . as for tv3 they were too busy showing oprah while the statment was being red out. that means that nobody in Ireland could see this LIVE unless they had sky news. thats why we need sni 24/7.

#23617 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

but mrbyrne in that interview the guy who said nothing gave out to paul renolds for asking to much questions so i dont get your point.

He asked the questions, thats the point. Who was there for Sky? Whoever it was, didn’t ask questions or else we couldn’t hear he/she (let me guess, it was Ray Kennedy?).

its nearly always the case that the national tv station gets the first question

it is?

hes not used to so many reporters

Really? So was that his first time at a press conference?

thats why we need sni 24/7.

-uneconomical, still wouldn’t get high viewer ratings. What they could do is have continuous SNI from lets say 5PM TO 11PM or 12 midnight. I reckon that would be economical and get ratings.

So, Sky news are ahead then? Possible from a British perspective. I don’t know how Sky’s coverage compares to its British rivals. You’#d think with such a large Dublin bureau they’d deffinitely be able to have the best possible, outstanding coverage for the British audience, but I don’t think even that is the case. As I said earlier, Thursday night I watched Sky News @ 9PM and it was pathetic, from an Irish perspective. They went LIVE to Cork and Belfast, but no reports. Perhaps that is good reporting for the British population, but when such a dramatic devlopement occurs in certainly, one of the biggest Irish stories in the 21st century, you’d think that sky News Ireland would cut into regular schedule and report to the Irish audience. Now tell me – today is Saturday, I heard on the news today (and not Sky News, the bank raid wasn’t in the headlines when I turned it on this morning) that another person had been arrested after a tipp off that he had been burning sterling notes. Obviously yet again, another development, it’ll be on the news this evening – but what channel are you going to turn on today and tomorrow to get your news? I bet it won’t be Sky News Ireland! – They’re all on holiday for the week-end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and that is why I don’t like Sky News Ireland, because its depressing to watch, when you consider what it could have been like. – Even FM10 bloody 4 can have news updates throughout the day.

#23618 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

no ray was covering the political end at leinster house. jonathan healy was at the conference for sky. he asked alot of quetions but you could not here him very well your right but that was because he was getting ready to go live straight after the conference and he needed to get out quick.

ya thats nearly alsways the case even adam boulton doesnt usually get the first question off tony blair.

well renolds is used to just the irish media being there and hes the only one asking questions but yesterday rte, tv3, bbc, itv, sky,lots more tv stations and papers.

the reason sky were not having any reports was because there was news constently coming in and if you made a report it would not include everything thats why they went live. rte can’t afford to go live that much thats why they had reports.

that person was arrested last night it was on sni at 10.

i know sni isn’t on today but to be honest even if it was i wouldnt be watching it but i see what your sayin. that why i want it 24/7 (the 7 indicates seven days a week just so you know ).

5-12 might work but i’d still like news in the morning and when i’m not working i like news in the afternoon. the morning news on tv3 isnt great its way too short and then rte at 1 is also too short.

#23619 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

well renolds is used to just the irish media being there and hes the only one asking questions but yesterday rte, tv3, bbc, itv, sky,lots more tv stations and papers.

I think Reynolds did great. He got to ask so many questions. Did you expect him to sit back, put up his hand and say gentlemen, could I please ask a question. He was quite determined. He’s a very good reporter.

the reason sky were not having any reports was because there was news constently coming in and if you made a report it would not include everything thats why they went live. rte can’t afford to go live that much thats why they had reports.

Yes, RTE can afford to LIVE, they certainly can in their own country. If you watched RT? News @ 9PM, which I did on Thursday seen as Skys coverage was terrible, I switched to RT? when they were done, you would see that RT? do go LIVE. They go LIVE in Ireland whenever they want. Phill Flynn even gave an interview to Charlie Bird.

Tippguy, why don’t you, in future, watch RT? News @ 9PM also. They don’t usually do a lot of LIVE reports at that hour, but when they do, their reporters tell us something new. If you look at times when Sky News Ireland use their LIVE, they end up just reading out a report or else telling us stuff we’ve already heard.

I must admit, I admire your loyalty to Sky News IRELAND. You wouldn’t happen to have a large amount of shares in BskyB, do you?

Saying that, I hate RT? as much as you do. I hate paying 155 Euro a year for that terrible shambles. On RT?, I only watch the news, prime time and the sopranoes (but thats because they’re the first to get it in the British Isles). In fact, I hate all Semi-state bodies. But, with regards to RT? News, for Irish events, I don’t see any other option but to watch RT? News. Just like I don’t see any other option but to buy the irish times (but thats different, I actually like reading and agree with paying for the irish times, its value for money). However, I will continue to watch SNI from time to time, do please keep me informed on their performances (because, between me and you, you are actually the only person I know, that actually watches SNI!! :ph34r: )

#23620 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

well obviously i didnt expect him to do that but a good reporter should never have to be told to stop. you never heard adam boulton etc. told to stop do you?

i never said rte cant go live i said not as much which is quite obvious. Of course he gave it to rte. sky are only a year old and tv3 wouldn’t have anyone good enough to interview him.

They don’t usually do a lot of LIVE reports at that hour, but when they do, their reporters tell us something new

well often the same news reports are on at 1 that are on news on 2 so i dont get you. ok i understand sni go a bit overboard with the live stuff but its all trying to boost ratings. if you had watched sni’s coverage of the money find you’d of seen that every time the breaking news banner appered they were live for an update.

i’d love to be able to watch rte news at 9 but i’m usually working till 12 thats why i usually watch sni on active cause theres no other news channels on.

Unfortunatly i dont have shares in bskyb. wish i had though.

well i hope that grainne is presinting for more than me to watch on active.

#23621 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

well obviously i didnt expect him to do that but a good reporter should never have to be told to stop. you never heard adam boulton etc. told to stop do you?

Yes, I have. Why don’t you look at the advert about “making the necessary travel arrangements… treat public figures witht he respect they deserve…” advert and you’ll see Adam Boutlon being asked to cut the report.

tv3 wouldn’t have anyone good enough to interview him.

TV3 got the exclusive interview with Gerry Adams yesterday. did you not see it?

i never said rte cant go live i said not as much which is quite obvious.

I think they have the ability to go LIVE for as long as they want, whenever they want anywhere in IRELAND. They only use it when its necessary though. Sky News IRELAND like to show it off, but its old now. everyone can go LIVE, TV3 has the ability to go LIVE in Ireland now.

but its all trying to boost ratings

The problem is, their bulletins are too short and they go LIVE too often. Maybe if they had more bulletins and longer broadcasts, then it fit in well, but it looks pathetic because they end up reading a script, when they could do it in the studio or else they make mistakes. Eibhlin is terrible at going LIVE. Its counter-productive, It won’t win ratings unless its a big international story, in which case a lot of people will turn to Sky News anyway. But lets stick to Ireland, because its only Sky News IRELAND that annoys me.

i’d love to be able to watch rte news at 9 but i’m usually working till 12 thats why i usually watch sni on active cause theres no other news channels on.

Ok……….. well are you saying that you watch SNI on active from 9- 12 or that you watch it when you get home from work?

well i hope that grainne is presinting for more than me to watch on active.

Wouldn’t you agree that “You’re watching Sky News Ireland, brought to you nightly at 7 and 10” is in fact misleading or false advertising? If you can count that as advertising… its certainly a lie anyway. Strictly speaking, they should be forced to take that off.

#23622 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

you’ll see Adam Boutlon being asked to cut the report

thats not asking him to stop asking questions is it??

TV3 got the exclusive interview with Gerry Adams yesterday

no sorry i missed it. who asked the questions. but how was it an exclusive when rte radio and bbc had interviews with him also.

I agree with you that sky news ireland go live way too much but some times it is necessary

ya i’m working most nights on the late shift until 12am thats why i watch the sni replay.

i no their programmes are way too short thats why i think now nearly 1 year one they should extend their bulitans to one hour. then slowly they can introduce as you suggested a 5-12 show and so on until it becomes 24/7

i agree that the advert during the programme is stupid and misleading however mark cagney on ireland am often does the same. anyone that watchs the programme knows their times. as i’ve said before they should be putting ad’s on papers, radio etc. last night i went to the local cinema and they had an advert for rte two before the movie. i’ve also seen huge rte two ad’s on billboards. they should also make new adverts for sky news. if they do decide to advertise they need to put the times and channel its on because most people say to me they cant find the channel sky news ireland.

#23623 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

But those advertisements are for RTE TWO as a station, since its revamp from Network Two. RTE do little advertising for the news bulletins, although (from time to time), they make radio and television advertisements for the news bulletins.

#23624 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I too have seen those adverts in the cinema and I thiks its saaaad. Its a waste of money. Typical example of RT? bureacracy…. I always called N2; RT?2 anyway. If it is as you say

But those advertisements are for RTE TWO as a station, since its revamp from Network Two

its a terrible waste of money.

#23625 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

i agree its a waste of money they have their viewers however nobody knows about sky news ireland really do they? i no rte2 is a station but if you remeber when eamon dunphy launched the dunphy show it was advertised all over the country. it was on papers, billboards, tv3, all the bskyb channels and even at landsdowne road!!

#23626 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

however nobody knows about sky news ireland really do they

Yes they do. I think every Joe in the country knows that Sky News Ireland exists. Even most Joes in the country have access to Sky thanks to a very large cable network in Dublin at least.

when eamon dunphy launched the dunphy show it was advertised all over the country. it was on papers, billboards, tv3, all the bskyb channels and even at landsdowne road!!

Which was needed due to the competition. I don’t think Sky News IRELAND should advertise. They’d waste too much money on it. If they can afford to heavily advertise, then surely they can afford a few more employees to have week-end broadcasts. Maybe they should make News Ireland adverts for Sky News, advertise on their own channel. However, I recall them doing that once and it was a huge embarrasment. They had maps and they put Dublin, where Rosslare is! That was pathetic for a news channel! Maybe if/when Sky News actually expands, then perhaps they should advertise. I certainly hope our current Sky News Ireland set-up isn’t it. I have my fingures crossed that this is just the starter, they’re just testing my patience, having a bit of a joke with us,- The real Sky News IRELAND will be luanched sometime in the future? – I hope! – But even if you want them to manipulate you with advertisments right now, they have the ability to put on free adverts on their own channel, maybe they should try again. I’m willing to donate a map!

#23627 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

i’d just like to say that if you were in the position of these reporters or people like Nick Purnell then maybe you would realise how hard they are working to try and provide good news. for most of these people it is a new experiance for them and they are working long hard hours to get all they can, and their best out to you. also nobody else seems that bothered as it only seems to be you three on this site slagging SNI off. maybe just maybe you all need to get out more??? but maybe i’m wrong and it gives you GREAT pleasure to sit at your computer day and night trying your best to critisize SNI because you know that they are good and its obvious that they are too much compertition for you as OBVIOUSLY you work for companies like RTE3 or whatever especially Mr. Bryne and his stupid familly moto. you obviously work for RTE
    so i’d like you to think about what you say as its not getting you anywhere. so there

#23628 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

only seems to be you three on this site slagging SNI off.

ok 24/7 i always watch sni if you have been reading these posts. If you go back to when i joined at the end of last year i liked everything about sni but slowly my patience is wearing out with these people. however it doesn’t take a genous to work out their problems. . i like sni however they have a lot of work to do if they are to get anywhere. for a starter they should get rid of that stupid ‘your watching sky news ireland ….’, then weekend bulitans, then extend your bulitans, hire more staff and hay presto you have a quality news channel. it took me 10 seconds to think of that and sni are on the air nearly 10 months now and havent done any of this.

OBVIOUSLY you work for companies like RTE3

oh ya we all really work for rte thats why we are always watching their opposition news channel.

as for them working hard where has brian daly disapered to. grainne is on a long weekend as ray was on tonight and he was off a few days last week. as for amanda cassidy and alison murphy where are they. the only ones who seem to be reporting daily are johnathan healy and alison o’reilly. i dont see how its a new expierence for them. grainne, brian, ray, eibhlin have been on tv for quite a while now while mr. purnell has been working with snuk. if they are working so hard how come you always see those apes on the pcs reading the paper and talking the whole time. they couldn’t be bothered even to reply to our e-mails. whats the point in putting up the address for then!!! i

24/7 i think your the one who works with sni

#23629 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

24/7 a question for you? Are you including me with the likes of Mr Byrne and Tippguy?? A complete twat and someone with no concept of spelling and grammar, on top of being a twat?
    Regarding RTE -you are fully correct(if you were referring to me) I do, on occasion, work in the RTE newsroom.

#23630 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

i was aiming it generally not in anyone in particular as it is different in everyones cases. also just because they have worked on one thing does not mean that they are not learning new things. Mr. Purnell has always worked with SNUK and it is new for him workining on SNI and he is learning as he goes along. also you say oh Grainne had a long weekend blah blah blah but isn’t she entitled to? have you never missed a day of work because of one thing or another? also its her holiday time so its up to her when she has it and personally i don’t see how its anything to do with you. also i’d like to add that i don’t work for Sky News so don’t try turning that back on me i’m not that stupid to write like this and work for them. also i’d like to make a point that i know what pressure some of them are under and maybe youu need to realise that it isn’t that easy to do all these “simple” changes don’t you think they know that it would make them better? do you not think that they realise that? if its soooo easy why oh why don’t you go do tippguy? i think you need to think about it a bit more carefully as there are reasons for everything. but maybe i’m wrong a[SIZE=1][FONT=Geneva]s i’m young and what do i know?[COLOR=purple]

#23631 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

:huh:

#23632 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

I completely agree with you saying people need time off and also with the amount of work that actually goes into making a real live news bulletin. If someone like tippguy could realise for example the man power that goes behind making RTE News on Two, for example, comments such as ” extend SNI from 5pm to 11pm” would not be made so flambuoyantly

In order to work the weekend they need a whole new team(directors, editors, presenter/reporter/, vision mixer, runners, floor manager, autocue roller, etc, etc and this costs ????????, or in UK terms, ???????!!

#23633 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yes i agree with this. i do not know much but as i have grown up with SN as quite a big part of my life i realise that it is such hard work and it is a same that ignorant people like tippguy thinks that it is easy bringin good news to people. he goes on that SNUK can why can’t SNI. SNI has only been around for 10 mounths its only just getting on its feet i am glad there are resonable people like newsroom who understand what it is like for these people. they work hard and do their best its more productive than a lot of other people eg. people who just critasize and don’t do anything useful. i think that now this is what SNI is intending on doing as they are just getting settled and i hope that they will be very sucessful in the future. i don’t live in Ireland so i do not know RTE news very well but i’m sure it is he same for them but i’d just like certain inconsiderate people to stop complaining and if they want to be more useful instead of whining like a 4 year old why don’t they post useful ideas as viewers and professionals. at least then they can be improving the situation rather than being useless.

#23634 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

24/7 when have i ever said anything like if snuk can do it sni can???

if you had bothered to read my last mesage and done a bit of research you’d of seen i like sni its just the problems. i think its a brilliant service with just a few problems which i have pointed out. last november it was your good buddy newsroom and mr.byrne who were bad mouthing sni and i was trying to defend it.

i wasnt stating that grainne in praticular was off i was trying to state that brian daly, etc. have been off or can you not read. if they all take days off together the show will colapse thats why they should have work it out. for example next month when grainne is in spian for maura deranes weeding they should try and have ray, brian and all good reporters working.

i happen to think that my ideas were usfull if again you had red them but that would only make sence so you could not do that. i just have been getting a little p***** off with it that they are doing nothing about it

newsroom if you do work for rte then why are you watching the opposition and writing in their fourms

#23635 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Basically tippguy u seem a bit stressed maybe you need to go on hols or maybe stop watching tv alltogether and do some exercise
    indeed i haven’t read everything as i am a bit busy as i av a life
    i just wanted to say ur a looser
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

beat that

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: NI Bank Raid
Your information: