New Graphics Servers

Forums Forums TV Newsroom New Graphics Servers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

gillw
    Participant
    #16626 Reply

gillw
    Participant

Is this the servers that they have just started to use or something new?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds14381.html

#16627 Reply

AJ
    Participant

these are for the new Sky News International feed breakfillers

#16628 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Living in Germany we now only receive the Sky News International transmission.

Sorry to say it but the new so called “Sky News International feed breakfillers” are such a bore. We see them and here the same horrible music so many times every hour that it now reaches the point where you just have to switch Sky News “off” which just never happened before.

The adverts were always much more interesting and in many cases fun to see.

#16629 Reply

AJ
    Participant

they can’t advertise british products in other countries unfortunately – what would be the benefit to sky for advertising products in other countries which may not even be available, and if they are then they would be giving out free advertising?

#16630 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Sky have been advertising products on Sky News outside the UK for 15 years, so why stop only now? especially as many of those products are also available throughout Europe and very often at a lower price.

Today advertising is still shown on other Sky channels which are easily picked up outside the UK, so where is the difference? Today we are said to be part of a European Community.

As for the Benefits to Sky, if a company is willing to pay to advertise it’s products, the financial gain is of interest to Sky and a wider audience will be more interesting to the advertising company.

#16631 Reply

AJ
    Participant

This will be the first time that Sky intend Sky News to be broadcast outside of the uk, and quite honestly – no matter what you say, an advertiser will never ever be willing to pay more than they have to.

Branding issues also come into play – for example, Lynx is called Axe on the continent, Walls is called Ola, Walkers is called Smiths and so on. If these companies wanted to advertise on Sky News in the UK and internationally, then it would cause a branding headache in the UK and would confuse already easily confused consumers.

Advertisers would have to have brand changes, and we all know that 90% of brits are stubborn and hate change – i.e. Coco Pops to the more continental Choco Krispies didn’t go down well at all – and I’m sure it would be harder to change the brands across the rest of Europe and beyond.

To counter that you could say that they could have adverts which have two brand names on them – wouldn’t that cause more confusion.

I’m sure that Sky are doing this in the interests of international viewers – they do not have facilities such as active or sky text and so are unable to view text news etc – so having the breakfiller on instead of adverts is a better idea. I certainly would be more than happy to have a breakfiller rather than annoying adverts.

#16632 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I accept with respect the point AJ is making but it does not change the fact that while Sky News has lived with advertising into Europe for 15 years until early this year, Europe has lived with cross frontier television a long time and solved the problem of cross frontier advertising years ago, and lets face it, how many brits travel to Calais ever year to buy fags and booze?.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: New Graphics Servers
Your information: