Martin Tyler

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Martin Tyler

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Ross420 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Clive Vedmore
    Participant
    #23961 Reply

Clive Vedmore
    Participant

I’m sorry if this has already been discussed but i’d like to know what’s happened to Martin Tyler.

I’ve heard all kinds of rumours,he’s had a falling out with Andy Gray,his bosses are going to get rid of him in the Summer.

All i know is,Ian Darke is not only commentating on games for the first time in about a decade,he’s been commentating on most if not all of the big games this year while Martin,who always used to commentate on the big games,is doing Prem Plus for the first time ever.

What’s going on and is Martin leaving Sky?

#23962 Reply

SMIFFY
    Participant

I know this debate has recieved much publicity throughout the various football messageboards during the past few months.

2 accounts of the situation can be found below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti…in_page_id=1779

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_…502/ai_n9499872

For its worth – heres my opinion.
    Martin Tyler is the best football commentator – bar none.

I could understand Tyler’s ‘demotion’ if he had done something wrong, but he is simply unflappable! I think Ian Darke is a quality commentator, but is not in the same league as Tyler.

#23963 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

ian darke should stick to boxing and as for tyler,im sick of the way he shrieks out the goal scrorers name,getting louder as he does it.

#23964 Reply

kelvintan15
    Participant

I am a huge fan of Sky Sports. Since Ian Darke, not Martin Tyler, commentated on Arsenal/Man Utd, I’ve been trying my best to keep track of which commentators do which games.

I may be reading too much into this, but since February I noticed one commentator takes turns to do two games for a certain weekend. For instance last weekend, Rob Hawthorne did the Aston Villa/Middlesbrough PremPlus match and the Monday Night Football Man City/Bolton (as usual).

The weekend before that, Alan Parry and Bill Leslie did 2 matches each out of the 8 matches (due to the Carling Cup Final). So there was no Super Sunday match (for Martin Tyler, though he covered Crystal Palace/Man Utd on Saturday which was not televised live in the UK), whilst Monday Night Football’s Norwich/Man City was done by Ian Darke with (as usual) Alan Smith.

The weekend before that, Alan Parry and Ian Darke did the 2 PremPlus matches, and Martin Tyler/Andy Gray did the Manchester derby on Super Sunday and Rob Hawthorne did Arsenal/Crystal Palace for Monday Night Football on Valentine’s Day. Martin Tyler also covered Blackburn/Norwich on that Saturday, so it was his turn to do 2 matches that weekend. However, there were only 7 matches that weekend due to the FA Cup replays.

So my point is, it does appear that the commentators are doing a rotation (which i assume to be each commentator taking turns to cover 2 matches each weekend), perhaps because there are now edited highlights for every Premiership match to be shown on Football First, which is new to Sky Sports for this season in addition to its Champions League coverage. I’m not sure if such a rotation policy was adopted (or even existed) in the first half of the season.

There are 2 smaller points. I believe Martin Tyler does Monday Night Football for another broadcaster. Secondly I personally feel that Premiership matches should be differentiated from FA Cup matches in terms of commentators. I believe the Martin Tyler/Andy Gray partnership still is the 1st choice where the FA Cup is concerned.

Whilst Martin Tyler may not be everybody’s favourite commentator, the fact that he no longer does the big matches is a great shame as he has been doing it for so long together with Andy Gray and Richard Keys. It’s sort of like how Richard Keys and Andy Gray no longer do Monday Night Football, with Ian Payne taking over with Alan Smith or Dion Dublin/Tim Sherwood.

#23965 Reply

dotdotuk
    Participant

guvnorgaz+Mar 11 2005, 08:21 PM–>(guvnorgaz @ Mar 11 2005, 08:21 PM)
    ian darke should stick to boxing and as for tyler,im sick of the way he shrieks out the goal scrorers name,getting louder as he does it.

But you just had to love…….

“ALBERTaaaahhhhhhoooooh”

#23966 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

He (Martin) was back in the commentry box with Andy for the FA Cup match between Newcastle and Tottenham on Sunday. They seem to be ok (listening to them)!- they joked and laughed throghout the match, as they normally do!

#23967 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

They commentated the Chelsea v West Brom game on Tuesday (15th March 2005).

#23968 Reply

andy_playmaker
    Participant

They’re all still better than the ITV commentators (imho naturally). I dread the days when they’ve got the big games. Having said that, it couldn’t be worse than channel 5.

Then again i suppose it all comes down to budgets, so it wouldn’t really be fair to be too critical i guess.

#23969 Reply

SMIFFY
    Participant

Interesting to see what Dave Clark said about Tyler this week:

I really admire Martin Tyler for his professionalism. His research is always immaculate and he is never caught out. He’s just the ultimate professional.

Could not agree more … and, without knowing any of the reason why, I cannot, for the life of me, understand what Ian Darke or Rob Hawthorne is preferred to him.

#23970 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

Andy Gray and Martin Tyler are doing the Arsenal v Blackburn FA semi-final right now and they both seem the same as usual, which is good because they’re the best in the business. B)

#23971 Reply

SMIFFY
    Participant

Agreed!

#23972 Reply

andy_playmaker
    Participant

Have to say i was severely unimpressed by Ian Darke last night during the Chelsea v Liverpool first leg. Seemed to get himself into too many holes and made a fair few dodgy assertions that Andy Gray had to come in on just to clarify/rectify/etc. Eg, one occasion, to the effect of “jamie carragher. liverpool through and through. if you cut him open, he’d bleed red…….. red of liverpool, of course…”. Gray laughed. I groaned.

Having said that, i always thought he was alright before.

#23973 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

yes i remember that one,,tought what the hell is the guy on a bout,but andy quickly coverd him,,i think andy an martin have formed a formidable partnership and should be togther for coming years,,,,,

#23974 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Martin Tyler for me is the top commentator and it’s a huge disappointment when I find he’s not on. He is articulate, knowledgable and always ready with the appropriate phrase – I particularly remember “Butt beaten by the bounce in Baku”.

I don’t know what the guys up top in Sky think they are doing, but they are wrecking Sky’s football coverage. Come 25th May and the Champions League Final, if Tyler isn’t commentating I will watch the game on ITV.

Would somebody like to set up a website: bringbackmartintyler.com?

Finally, a memo to Ian Darke: Please stop saying “By the way”. It’s very irritating.

#23975 Reply

andy_playmaker
    Participant

RichardW+Apr 29 2005, 09:11 AM–>(RichardW @ Apr 29 2005, 09:11 AM)
    Martin Tyler for me is the top commentator and it’s a huge disappointment when I find he’s not on. He is articulate, knowledgable and always ready with the appropriate phrase – I particularly remember “Butt beaten by the bounce in Baku”.

I don’t know what the guys up top in Sky think they are doing, but they are wrecking Sky’s football coverage. Come 25th May and the Champions League Final, if Tyler isn’t commentating I will watch the game on ITV.

Would somebody like to set up a website: bringbackmartintyler.com?

Finally, a memo to Ian Darke: Please stop saying “By the way”. It’s very irritating.

Spot on. Martin Tyler doesn’t talk games up like they do on ITV (and like Darke was doing the other day), preferring to let the football do the talking, so to speak. It really gets on my nerves when the ITV commentators verbally disappear up their own backsides, miring themselves in hyperbole and exaggeration, when all you want is just a bit of informative commentary. Maybe it’s just my personal opinion, but i much prefer the more understated approach of Tyler.

Vive le Tyler!!!

#23976 Reply

Moxey
    Participant

I thought Tyler was in a contract dispute with Sky & thats the reson why since they have been sharing the games around

As for co commentators cant stand Andy Gray other than when he went you beauuuutttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy when Gerrard scored against Olympiacos and forgot he was a blue LOL

#23977 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I’d like to congratulate Kelvo on taking the time out of his life to work it out!
    It is exactly that; Sky have decided to rotate the commentators.
    It is because, due to the introduction of Football First, Sky have to have a commentator and summariser at every game in case that becomes “Game of the Day.” Not only does this mean that the Tyler/Gray combination comes around less often than we would all like, but also people like Davie Provan are given work.

Now, about Ian Darke. I thought he was all right until the Champions League game on Wednesday, too. He spent the majority of the game harping on about how awful Liverpool have been away in the Premiership this season (too true, with only five away wins) and ended his commentary with an overexcited, high-pitched yelp of, “It has been another sterling away performance from Liverpool.” Brilliant.

We all know he meant European performance away from home, but the job of the commentators and summarisers is to tell us something we don’t know (I’m talking to you, Graeme Le Saux).

#23978 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Well. having done 0 games the previous week Martin did the Charlton – Man U game on Sunday but not the PSV-AC Milan game on Weds. He was banished to the gulag of Fulham-Newcastle.

It will be very interesting to see who does the Cup Final and the Champions League final. 12 months ago Martin I think did both. If he doesn’t do either this year then surely he is on his bike.

If he has to go my favourite to replace him is John Champion. But will he, or anybody else, be able to tell us such obscure info such as “Keith Peacock was the first ever substitute in 1965”?

#23979 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

good to see Martin and Andy back tonight !!

#23980 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yes, wasn’t it just. They are so good together, miles better than any other commentary team.

I listen to MT come out with yet another obscure stat like “It’s 103 games since Man U scored first and lost” and the scorer and date, and I think how on earth does he know that. The guy is a walking encyclopaedia of footy.

Could Ian Darke or anybody else told us that? I don’t think so.

Come on Sky – two Cup Finals coming up in the next two weeks, let’s have your top team on the case.

#23981 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

i don’t understand why martin tyler wasn’t in istanbull hes far better than rob whats his name

#23982 Reply

SMIFFY
    Participant

Actually, Martin WAS in Istanbul. He must have been commentating for a foreign feed. He said during the USA v England game that he had made the same journey as Scott Crason (Liverpool goalkeeper).

I didn?t think that Rob did that bad, but has to be Martin any day!

I think it is now safe to say that, unfortunately, Martin has been axed from the number 1 spot.

They have tried Ian Darke and now Rob ? it looks to me they are searching for a new top man – and I think a bust up with Andy Grey is to blame. There was talk in the Daily Mirror a few weeks ago that Sky were after John Motson (please NO!)

#23983 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

no he’d be real boaring and wouldnt suit sky’s viewers. they need someone different. i think maybe that guy that reviews the football league

#23984 Reply

bouncebackability
    Participant

Do you mean Ian Crocker? Yeah he would be great doing the big games like Arsenal v Man United.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Martin Tyler
Your information: