John Cookson

Forums Forums TV Newsroom John Cookson

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kaylover 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tippguy
    Participant
    #23641 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

I think that John Cookson is an excellent reporter and that Sky should try and hire him from Fox. Today reporting live from Iraq he seemed a really nice man and he done some excellent reporting.

#23642 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I saw that individual reporting LIVE on Sky New Today, today also and I have to say that he is a gobshit. Sky should stay away from him, no wonder its FOX News that have him. I mean any time they go over to him, he’s always in the Green Zone.

He was reporting on the bombs against Shia’s today and he said that it was likely to be sectarian rather than politically motivated. He then went on the make accusations that it may have been “foreign fighters” from “Syria or Iran” – LOL. Fail to realise that the majority of people in Iran are Shia Muslim. If it is, in his expert from 5 star hotel opinion, a “sectarian” attack, then why would it be Iranians (shia muslims) blowing up their brother Shia Muslims? – Its lovely he mentions Syria and Iran. – I’m sure FOX News love him but I for one cannot believe a word that comes out of his mouth and anyone with a bit of common intelligence would understand my point of view on this topic.

I wonder would Tim Marshall agree with what he said today.

#23643 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Haven’t seen him so can’t comment on his reports. However it has to be Wahhabi /Sunnis bombing. They have everything to lose.

Don’t knock the poor man for staying in the hotel. Florence Aubenas and an Italian journalist (I apologise; I forget her name) ventured out to try to do some real reporting and look what happened to them.
    It is not possible to do your job there now, as a western journalist; and very, very difficult even as an Iraqi journalist.

#23644 Reply

wolverine
    Participant

I agree with Eagleeye, with such a context, it’s difficult to blame him.
    It’s not fair to risk some reporters lives just to inform some guys like myself or you,
    quiet in their sofa and their safeness.

#23645 Reply

ST34
    Participant

Cookson has a point. Iraq is riddled with foreign agitators. Despite what is reported the borders are relatively easy to cross.

I have spent a lot of time in the region, Iranians have no love for Iraqi’s irrespective of religoius ties. The same applies to Syrians.

What they do have is a common goal to destabilise the US backed government, at any cost.

#23646 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

If there are terrorists crossing the border from Iran into Iraq (as someone thats spent a lot of time in the region) wouldn’t you agree with me that those so called terrorists (either fictional or realistic) wouldn’t be going after the Shia population. I was under the impression that the majority of Iranians are Shia Muslim. I thought the Iranians are supporters of the Shia’s in Iraq and Sistani etc.

Do you honestly believe that Syrians are becoming suicide bombers and going into Iraq? I wouldn’t rule out that perhaps terrorists are crossing the border from Syria, but I do recall a conversation I had with a journalist that has visited Syria on several occassions and she gave me the impression that the syrians are mainly Sunni Muslim and have a good life, its a secular state. There is no religious involvement in the government, they don’t have radical islamic laws such as the wearing of the headscarf as in Iran, or how about the way women are forbiden to drive in that country the Americans love who screw us with high oil prices (Saudi Arabia). I don’t believe that Syrians are throwing their lives away and heading over to Iraq to blow themselves up in Shia areas, in the same way that I don’t believe Iranians (most likes Shia Muslim) are heading over to Iraq to blow their cousins up.

Maybe radical islamic terrorist groups use those countries borders, but if thats the case (and I’m not saying it isn’t) then surely they’re using Saudi Arabia’s borders too. Thats a large bordser and the Saudi’s have had a lot of terrorist attacks in their country, I don’t believe Syria or Iran have. Again I’m not saying that foreign fightters aren’t using the Iranian or Syrian borders, but if you’re going to make that assumption, surely you can assume that they’re using the very large Saudi Arabian border also and not blame this solely on the two countries that are on America’s axis of eveil, although they have never done anything against America.

#23647 Reply

Onion
    Participant

Cookie was indeed a Sky News journalist for several years, and was a well liked chap who had no hesitation in getting involved in the heart of the action… in fact he was regarded as the journo-most-likely-to-get-blown-up-live-on-air. I’ve got a video somewhere of him doing a piece to camera when two helicopters collided mid air just behind him.
    He used to cover anything and everything, from world troublespots and items such as the Waco siege, through to Eurodisney’s first Christmas and the Queen Mum having a fish bone stuck in her throat. (He’s outside the hospital for that one in the attached picture.)
    He was a really nice guy, and did some good work for Sky.

#23648 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

He is a really nice guy and a damn good reporter. I cant belive some people on here can be rude about him just because they dont like the news channel he works for… i mean come on guys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: John Cookson
Your information: