Ian Payne

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Ian Payne

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jonn0boy 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

SSLuke
    Participant
    #32148 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

is he doing any live games any more?

Whenever I turn on SSN he seems to be on there all the time nowadays!

#32149 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I think he was assigned to FA Cup games…

#32150 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

oh OK Johnnie – do you know whether he’ll be doing any other competitions e.g. Carling Cup, England U21 internationals?

#32151 Reply

bouncebackability
    Participant

I would imagine he will do pretty much the same live output as last season; U-21’s, FA & Carling Cup etc. Although this month he hasn’t done any live matches, missing out on an U-21 match & a Carling Cup tie, I think he will be back for the Carling Cup 2nd Rd matches next month. If he has been taken off live matches altogether, at least he went out on a high with a truly great FA Cup Final.

#32152 Reply

Jason1970
    Participant

Wish they could go back to Ian doing Monday Night Football with the Fanzone but I gather BBC tried to poach Jeff Stelling away in the summer of 2005 and they decided Jeff do Monday Night Football instead

#32153 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Jason1970 wrote:Wish they could go back to Ian doing Monday Night Football with the Fanzone but I gather BBC tried to poach Jeff Stelling away in the summer of 2005 and they decided Jeff do Monday Night Football instead

I think it was ITV..

I noticed Jim White was presenting the under 21 international games tonight (Friday)

#32154 Reply

bouncebackability
    Participant

BBC wanted Jeff to do Score and ITV wanted him for the World Cup, Sky wanted (rightly) to keep him so gave him MNF.

No surprise that Jim White was doing yesterday’s Scotland match, he normally does. I should have put the England U-21’s in my previous post, as that is what Payne has covered for the last couple of seasons.

#32155 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

the funny thing is, they gave him a new contract and MNF to keep him at Sky, but this season they’ve all but axed games on a Monday night and i think Monday matches will be on Setanta from next season, so he’s back to where he started really!

this stuff about the BBC wanting him is news to me – it was ITV who publically courted him (and Richard Keys) as they had a new boss is isn’t very keen on Gabby – it looks like they’ve replaced her with Steve Rider on their Champions League coverage this season.

#32156 Reply

bouncebackability
    Participant

Yeah, although I believe Gabby has got the UEFA Cup.
    The BBC tried to poach Jeff around December time of last year, although it was a half-hearted attempt. ITV were much more serious about it.

Hopefully from next season with less and less Monday matches (possibly a new regular Football League slot??) Jeff will be able to do midweek Soccer Specials. It ain’t the same with Rob McCaffrey

Also, Ian Payne was presenting Sports Saturday on SSN this afternoon and from the couple of hours I saw, he did quite a good job.

#32157 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Yes, I also think that maybe Ian Payne could take over the midweek Soccer Specials from Rob McCaffrey, not much of a fan of his.

#32158 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

bouncebackability wrote:BBC wanted Jeff to do Score and ITV wanted him for the World Cup, Sky wanted (rightly) to keep him so gave him MNF.

No surprise that Jim White was doing yesterday’s Scotland match, he normally does. I should have put the England U-21’s in my previous post, as that is what Payne has covered for the last couple of seasons.

thers no way the BBC could try to do Score ,its so bland Ray Stubbs could never do Jeff Stelling i wonder why they tried to poach him hes class and the ribbing he does even to wind up Alan Mac .

#32159 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

and he isn’t doing tonight’s Carling Cup tie between Peterborough and Everton either (it’s Jeff Stelling) – he must have really pissed someone off.

#32160 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Did he do Carling Cup last year? I know he done the FA Cup.

#32161 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

he did Carling Cup and the FA Cup plus England U21 and the occasional Premiership and Conference game. I understand he wasn’t as good as Sky expected but i thought he was improving and to remove him from all live games seems a bit harsh.

also Johnnie I was just scanning your Sky Sports profiles and you still have Mark Bolton as a touchline reporter – he now does the Spanish football.

#32162 Reply

bouncebackability
    Participant

And I believe Sky have given Tim Lovejoy the chair for tomorrow nights Carling Cup match

#32163 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Christ, that is one person who we should see less of, he isnt a football fan, he is a Chelsea fan and if its not Chelsea he dont give a toss

#32164 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:Christ, that is one person who we should see less of, he isnt a football fan, he is a Chelsea fan and if its not Chelsea he dont give a toss

and he was rubbish as well – can’t read the autocue (and bizarrely was able to get away with not wearing a jacket and tie unlike everybody else).

keep him on Soccer AM – away from serious broadcasting – please.

#32165 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

I think Sky employs enough people who can do a presenting job without having to go for that goon, he is overrated

#32166 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Tim Lovejoy presenting something a bit more serious – glad I missed it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Ian Payne
Your information: