Glasgow Building Collapse

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Glasgow Building Collapse

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

bbriscoe
    Participant
    #16795 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

I was quite surprised during the reporting of the Glasgow building collapse that Sky News did not have anyone on the scene for quite a while.

Both ITV News and News 24 had pictures from the scene long before Sky did.

ITV are actually getting quite good at this breaking news thing.

#16796 Reply

Ross
    Participant

Maybe because both ITV and BBC have regional variations of their channels and hence have reporters/cameras nearer Glasgow than Sky do – Sky’s channels are regional and hence probably don’t have as many people dotted around the UK ready to report. Although they do probably have more people dotted around the world than BBC or ITV do.

#16797 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Although they do probably have more people dotted around the world than BBC or ITV do.

I think that they may have more people around the world than ITV News, they never in a million years have anywhere near the amount of people that the BBC have in foreign locations. I think that the whole of Sky News’ staff will total less than the BBCs foreign team.

#16798 Reply

Pete19
    Participant

Maybe because both ITV and BBC have regional variations of their channels and hence have reporters/cameras nearer Glasgow than Sky do – Sky’s channels are regional and hence probably don’t have as many people dotted around the UK ready to report. Although they do probably have more people dotted around the world than BBC or ITV do.

ITV News Channel are running the main evening news from Scotland Today at 6pm. Live from the scene!

#16799 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Still , at 6pm no Live correspontent at the scene , 6 hours after it happened….where the sky copter at least!!!

#16800 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Still  , at 6pm no Live correspontent at the scene , 6 hours after it happened….where the sky copter at least!!!

James Matthews is at the scene. He may not be live ot camera, but did an update via telephone.

#16801 Reply

Pete19
    Participant

I think somtimes this is where Sky falls downs! Regional Help!

itv News Channelhave just had Scotland Today live for 30 mins with Sarah Heaney, John MacKay and Shereen Nanjiani! With BBC News 24 had Reporting Scotland lice for 15 mins with Jackie Bird!

Maybe Sky should look into Regional News?

#16802 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Maybe Sky should look into Regional News?

Perhaps with the developments in Ireland this would be the next step?

#16803 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

i think that this coverage has been total crap this is sky at its worse for quite a while!! I think they need teams located arounded the country ready to go live at any moment. Today has not shown sky to be “news channel of the year”

#16804 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

i think your spot on there kaylover, sky’s coverage has been dismal compared to ITV and BBC NEWS 24.

sky showed the same looped footage they had for almost 4 hours today.

#16805 Reply

philg
    Participant

Sky’s coverage has been embarrasingly awful. Why could they not get a live shot any quicker? It was very unprofessional for them to be talking to James Mathews for so long on the phone, not having him in vision. I will be astounded if viewers did not turn over in their thousands to News 24, which was very good this afternoon.

Sky pride themselves on Breaking News, today they have been rubbish.

#16806 Reply

philg
    Participant

It seems that Sky’s Scotland satellite truck was in Ireland helping with the launch of the ireland service. So. obviously just very bad timing for Sky.

#16807 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Simon Mccoy’s been reporting for news 24 this evening. Wouldn’t this have been an excellent oportunity to use the copter? What with the whole “you can really see the SCALE of the disaster!” promo. I’ve never heard so much slating about Sky’s coverage for such a long time. I hope this is just a one-off.

#16808 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Actually saw Simon reporting on Sky News this morning – only a brief shot as the camera panned around the scene. I wonder what Martin & Simon had to say to each other?

#16809 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Wouldn’t this have been an excellent oportunity to use the copter? What with the whole “you can really see the SCALE of the disaster!” promo. I’ve never heard so much slating about Sky’s coverage for such a long time. I hope this is just a one-off.

Yes, you’re spot on there about the Skycopter. It’s definately an opportunity wasted.

Sky really seemed to have not bothered with this story at all. At 9am this morning they had perhaps 5 minutes of coverage then they moved on to other stories, whilst News 24 an ITV were still concentrating on Glasgow.

#16810 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Doesnt Sky have a Scottish bureau???

#16811 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Doesnt Sky have a Scottish bureau???

They do indeed. It is manned with 2 or 3 correspondents as well. In my opinion James Matthews, the unofficial chief correspondent there, is a quality reporter who I like. Earlier Simon McCoy was doing a live to camera on News 24 and James was stood right behind him.

They seem to have sharpened up a little as the day goes on. Martin Stanford talking live to James and Mike McCarthy (again I’m a fan), whose been drafted in from Manchester.

What chances Jeremy Thompson at the scene later in the day? It’s what he does best.

#16812 Reply

Ross
    Participant

Yep, he does do that best. When the Madrid train bombs went off they were in the morning, and they had JT out there by Live at Five, maybe even before! He was great there too.

#16813 Reply

Steven
    Participant

So it appears Jeremy wasn’t on scene this evening. In fact he wasn’t even at Sky centre.

Martin Stanford continued from this morning. He’s done a good job, it’s easy to forget that Martin can be good when lately he only seems to be used as Julie’s assistant on Sky News Today.

Gerrard Tubb also at the scene. Rona Dougall seems to have disappeared though.

Their coverage has definately picked up form yesterday!

#16814 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

I agree but it was strange that they did not use the copter(maybe its still in Ireland) also wasnt it strange no Jeremy…u do miss him dont u?

He is in my opinion by far the best newscaster/correspondent/broadcaster in BSkyB.

Well done Jeremy from me if u ever read this.

#16815 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

Martin Stanford continued from this morning. He’s done a good job, it’s easy to forget that Martin can be good when lately he only seems to be used as Julie’s assistant on Sky News Today.

That’s because Julie is one of the best presenters on Sky News. She doesn’t fluff her lines half the time, unlike some people…

Jeremy is probably off in his other career as a menswear catalogue model – he was practising at the end of this ad.

#16816 Reply

Steven
    Participant

That’s because Julie is one of the best presenters on Sky News. She doesn’t fluff her lines half the time, unlike some people…

I agree completely. Dare I say she is better than Kay Burley.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Glasgow Building Collapse
Your information: