Flooding – Sky News Not First

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Flooding – Sky News Not First

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Easty 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

dseward
    Participant
    #18673 Reply

dseward
    Participant

Hello

Where are Sky News? – BBC News 24 have pictures obviously taken earlier today of helicopter lifts and peopl’s houses floating away. Sky News have a slideshow running. I know Cornwall is in the sticks, but wouldn’t this been a perfect occasion to pull the helicopter out of it’s hanger?

Even ITV News have interviews with people that had to be rescued.

#18674 Reply

JamesH
    Participant

The BBC had aerial pictures from 6pm

ITV News Channel was first with pictures from the ground at 8pm, and an in-vision reporter from Westcountry News at 8.30.

#18675 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

dseward+Aug 16 2004, 09:32 PM–>(dseward @ Aug 16 2004, 09:32 PM)
    wouldn’t this been a perfect occasion to pull the helicopter out of it’s hanger

It’s a shame sky haven’t taken this oppurtunity.

Guess they were taken by surprise as well as the people in Cornwall.

I’ve been watching ITV news and their coverage as been great.

#18676 Reply

fusionlad
    Participant

Don’t forget the SkyCopter needs a satellite truck to beam to… which is probably where Sky are struggling.

#18677 Reply

AJ
    Participant

Regardless of the fact that Sky not having a satellite truck to beam to, I feel that it’s a very poor show today – it’s the Glasgow Explosion all over again. What’s the point of spending all that money on a helicopter when you don’t have the facilities at the ready to go with it?

Maybe they can redeem themselves by sending JT out there tomorrow?

#18678 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

Have sky shown any footage of the floods yet?

Last thing I saw was the still shots

#18679 Reply

Ross
    Participant

Yeah I think it is the Glasgow thing all over again.

If the satellite truck is the problem, maybe they should get some more and space them out a bit…

I’ve not been watching anyone’s coverage – but if it’s anything like the Glasgow explosion then they’re letting themselves down again…

#18680 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

they are live from cornwall now (11:17 pm)

#18681 Reply

gillw
    Participant

I love Sky News, but they have let the viewers and themselves down badly with their coverage of this disaster. I found myself heading N24’s way which is unheard of for me. I even found myself watching the ITV News Channel (god how bad is that channel!). Sky’s slideshow of viewers pictures didn’t even scratch the surface of the disaster that had occured in this town. Viewers wanting information on what had happened certainly didn’t get it from Sky yesterday evening. In comparison, N24 had helicopter pictures (which I am sure where live at around 6pm) and by 10pm even had amateur footage of the floods crashing through the town. Reporters were on the scence for both N24 & ITV before dark and Sky could only manage to make telephone contact with a reporter.

They are not going to win News Channel of the Year again with coverage like this. You’re only as good as your last story…..

#18682 Reply

dseward
    Participant

Sky seem to have pulled their finger out this morning with Martin Stanford presenting Sunrise from Cornwall. Maybe their van broke down on the M5 ???

#18683 Reply

gillw
    Participant

dseward+Aug 17 2004, 09:12 AM–>(dseward @ Aug 17 2004, 09:12 AM)
    Sky seem to have pulled their finger out this morning with Martin Stanford presenting Sunrise from Cornwall. Maybe their van broke down on the M5 ???

Strangley ironic, but the funniest thing was the ad for “Sky News Technology” featuring the helicopter that was shown about 7-15pm last night………

#18684 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

At around 3 am this morning there was a report on sky by andrew moore which was shot in day light.

Not sure if anyone else saw that.

#18685 Reply

torreviejalads
    Participant

Have Sky news EVER used the helicopter for anything other than promoting it?? I personally haven’t seen anything, and I live in Spain and Sky is the only 24hour news channel we get.
    You may have seen one of there promo videos where they sing the praises of everything Sky, and right at the end there is a Sky News reporter on the back of a donkey. Well maybe they are waiting for there reporter and donkey to arrive in Cornwall. After all, London to Cornwall via donkey will take awhile.

#18686 Reply

AJ
    Participant

They do use it occasionally, but the instances are certainly few and far between. It was used this morning (around 17 hours after the flood), and I’ve seen it used for the Budget coverage (Kay Burley travelling from the North to the South of the country interviewing people)

I don’t really think that its use on two occasions doesn’t really warrant its purchase though, unfortunately. They could have used it for the “flood” in West London last week – but they didn’t. The helicopter just seems to be another gimmick to add to the Sky News collection of whoosh bangs and newswalls.

As much as I love watching Sky News, it’s become very painful viewing lately (possibly because of Summer Hols). I just hope they pull something astounding out of their hat when they relaunch later in the year.

#18687 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Eibhlin N? chonghaile,of Sky News Ireland, used it to report on the bedroom the US President would be staying in Dromoland Castle in County Limerick…….however it was mainly used as a publicity stunt to try and promote SNI-which didn’t really work

#18688 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

I agree, it too reminded me of the Glasgow factory explosion, would have though Sky would have learnt their lesson. Sky was left trailing for hours. Even at 10pm Sky still had to show stills and not much else. Sky’s coverage was a shambles.. If they couldn’t beam live, using the satellite, why not stream through the net? Having to grovel to the viewers for hours upon end was just cringing, especially still at 11pm! They need to invest heavily in the regions, BBC will always have the advantage with its network of local radio stations which all have cameras ready to roll.

#18689 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

To be fair the coverage has been good today though.

Maybe it was too late but I think today they did have the best coverage out of all the news channels.

But thinking about it wouldn’t have been wise for sky to use their helicoptor last night. Considering how many there was already flying over a small area.

But they could have used it to fly a reporter with a camera into the area….

#18690 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Its not often you get to say the ITV News Channel was the best of the news channels, things really did hit a low point when that happens. Shame as Sky is often the best news channel. With the London flood travel chaos a couple of weeks ago Sky were rubbish then aswell, the same clip of a white transit van in some water. BBC London and to a lesser extent BBC News 24 had access to the TFL cameras and used them extensively, the pictures were superb.

#18691 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I didn’t see the stroy break on Sky – although I did get a Sky SMS text about it…..

However, I did see coverage from about 7 and it was cr*p. Like all the other members of the forum are saying the stills were a dead loss. There was no live links until late evening.

I was flicking the channels a bit and I thought ITV came out on top. That shows how poor the show was from N24 and Sky.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Flooding – Sky News Not First
Your information: