Diana's memorial fountain

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Diana's memorial fountain

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  news_wench 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

news_wench
    Participant
    #18025 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

Geoff Meade is in Hyde Park. Do you think he went for a paddle?

#18026 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

I would have if I was him, it was such a lovely day, and he must have been hot under his smart clothes.

What does everyone think of the fountain? I like it, but just think it is a bit dangerous to paddle in – surely the stone is a little slippy?

#18027 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

They should have shown Geoff with his trousers rolled up, paddling.

Yes, it doesn’t seem like a very child-friendly fountain. There will be tears when they all fall over on the hard granite. Someone didn’t think *that* out very well, did they?

#18028 Reply

four pints
    Participant

Personally, i think it is a fitting tribute to such a lovely spirited woman, the sound of the flowing water will conjure up her lovely smile.

#18029 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

You could hear flowing water when Diana smiled? Was she drooling a lot or something?

#18030 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

That’s just disrespectful, news_wench. I agree with Four Pints. The fountain is a metaphor for everything she represented.

#18031 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

Repetitive and watery, with no real purpose and generally a waste of public money?

#18032 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Repetitive and watery, with no real purpose and generally a waste of public money?  😛

No real purpose? Its there so people from across the world can pay tribute to Diana.

Would you rather take the approach of the Windsors and just pass it off and ignore the public sentiment over her death?

I may be in Australia thousands of kilometers away and personally never saw Diana (although my parents have), but she did great things in the world and had a awful experience with Charles (May he never be the King of Australia) and she died in a truely awful way.

She deserves some tribute and memorial for the people from Britain, The Commonwealth and globally to pay their respects to her.

#18033 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

People across the world don’t need a ?3.6 million fountain to pay tribute to Diana. What do you think she would have preferred, that the money was spent on that, or that it was given to the charities she helped during her life to carry on doing great things?

The public sentiment isn’t all one way, you know. Believe it or not, there are quite a lot of people who don’t care all that much – obviously it’s tragic when anyone dies in an accident, but no more so because of who she was. She died because her chauffeur was wasted, not because of any conspiratorial plot. I admittedly don’t know that much about her and Charles’ relationship, but marriages break up. It happens. I’m not sure he did anything that deplorable.

By the way, if Australia likes the royals so much, why don’t your taxpayers pay for their upkeep?

#18034 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

A multitude of good points there, news_wench.

I didn’t realise the fountain cost so much, that is appalling! Especially since it is so badly designed it over flowed yesterday!!! I think they should have made some donations to charity.

The idea of a statue is silly, she was divorced from Charles by then, and wasn’t even *Princess Diana*, she was HRH Diana, Princess of Wales, which is different.

At the end of the day, what was she doing gallivanting around the south of France and Paris with her boyfriend while her kids were at school in England anyway? It was tragic for anyone to die like that, bur apart from her charity work, she was no great shakes!

I especially hate to think of my taxes funding her do-good missions. It’s not like she had to work like the rest of us, so she had the time to do charitable good works. If she worked a 9-5 I doubt she would have had the time or energy to go and help people abroad all the time.

#18035 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

Well she was still Diana, Princess of Wales, she had to drop the HRH.

Good point fishcakes. I will vote you for new princess of wales.

#18036 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

I would be, but Charles just ain’t my cup o’ tea!

I’d do Wills though!

#18037 Reply

sea monkey
    Participant

[quote=”MelbourneTV

No real purpose? Its there so people from across the world can pay tribute to Diana.

Yes, but lucky us, we get to pay tribute AND pay FOR the tribute so you lot can all come and pay tribute.

#18038 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

I would be, but Charles just ain’t my cup o’ tea!

I’d do Wills though!  

Well there you go, you just have to wait until Charlie takes the throne, and Bob’s your uncle. Or Camilla’s your mother in law. Or something.

Right on, seamonkey.

#18039 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

By the way, if Australia likes the royals so much, why don’t your taxpayers pay for their upkeep?

Because its in London and we dont pay taxes to the UK as of January 1 1901

And 51% want a republic – I’m in the 49% that want to stay as it is.

The only time we contribute to the monarchy is when she/they are on our soil when Elizabeth adopts the title “Her Majesty the Queen of Australia”

#18040 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

news_wench+Jul 6 2004, 07:39 PM–>(news_wench @ Jul 6 2004, 07:39 PM)
    Yes, it doesn’t seem like a very child-friendly fountain. There will be tears when they all fall over on the hard granite. Someone didn’t think *that* out very well, did they?

I hate to say I told you so… :rolleyes:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Diana's memorial fountain
Your information: