David Bowden

Forums Forums TV Newsroom David Bowden

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Steven
    Participant
    #16935 Reply

Steven
    Participant

So, David is in Iraq. Is he there to relieve Lisa Holland?

He did a live in the SNI bulliten, and when referring to Donald Rumsfeld siad he was “bigging up” the troops. A little strange that.

#16936 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I’m pleased that they are rotating reporters and not sending any one individual in for too long. They are mostly stuck at the hotel as it isn’t safe to go anywhere anyway and it is not great for the b.p. or nerves.

Actually I wonder if the journey isn’t the worst part as that goes through the badlands.

#16937 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I’m pleased that they are rotating reporters and not sending any one individual in for too long. They are mostly stuck at the hotel as it isn’t safe to go anywhere anyway and it is not great for the b.p. or nerves.

Actually I wonder if the journey isn’t the worst part as that goes through the badlands.

Yes in the interview with Grainne, David did say that this was his 5th visit to Baghdad and it’s possibly the most at risk he’s felt.

#16938 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Good for both Davids (I didn’t see any of Lisa’s reporting). Admitting you are scared is entirely professional and it’s great. Honest reporting. None of that BBC “I’m not allowed to show my feelings” nonsense.

Is it still the case that all the news channels are just keeping one reporter at the Baghdad hotel/s now? I wonder for how long. No freedom of movement = you report “live” on something an arab channel/arab reporters working for eg Reuters has or have already fed to London, or am I wrong pls?

These guys are all old enough to remember when all journos had to leave Beirut in case they were kidnapped and held hostage. I would love to talk to both the reporters and management on how they take a decision that it isn’t worth a life having someone in a ‘newsworthy place’ to report to a public who are ?? how interested anyway…

#16939 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Yeah just remember in the late 80s with JohnMcCarthy and Brian Keenan getting kidnapped in Beirut.

#16940 Reply

Steven
    Participant

These guys are all old enough to remember when all journos had to leave Beirut in case they were kidnapped and held hostage. I would love to talk to both the reporters and management on how they take a decision that it isn’t worth a life having someone in a ‘newsworthy place’ to report to a public who are ?? how interested anyway…

Essentially, the ball is in the correspondents court initially. I assume that David Chater, Lisa Holland, David Bowden, Peter Sharpe, Alex Crawford and any other Sky Correspondent that has been in Iraq recently are there becuase they want to be.

I suppose when you look at all the civilian and news staff that are in Iraq at the moment it is a relatively low figure that are suffering – death, kidnapping etc – albeit brutal when it does happen (ie beheading).

#16941 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

Lisa Holland did one report from outside, quite brave of her. David Chater always reported from his hotel, I thought it was too dangerous to go out. Hope Lisa is ok!!

#16942 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

Once she wore a bullet proof vest though.

#16943 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

But what if she got shot in the head?

#16944 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

That’s true.

That is really irresponsible that she wasn’t given a helmet or something. Surely the SkyNews budget cam stretch to that?

#16945 Reply

Steven
    Participant

David was in Basra over the weekend. He went out on a patrol with some Brit troops. There was an interview with one soldier, who said he didn’t really see the point in him being there, like it was a waste of time.David then commented further when he did a live with Chris Roberts that there were many other soldiers saying similar things off camera. I thought it was very odd that David would broadcast that.

Anyway he was broadcasting live form Baghdad again today.

#16946 Reply

LittleRoss
    Participant

Should Sky News be sending Reporters to Iraq? I thought they only used Correspondants to major death-threatning news stories, not Reporters, But I noticed as soon as she was in Iraq, she was a Correspondant, but a Reporter for a small time – I’ve always found that odd!

#16947 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Should Sky News be sending Reporters to Iraq? I thought they only used Correspondants to major death-threatning news stories, not Reporters, But I noticed as soon as she was in Iraq, she was a Correspondant, but a Reporter for a small time – I’ve always found that odd!

I assume that you are referring to Lisa Holland, who is in fact now a Correspondent.

#16948 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

sounds like David Bowden would rather NOT be there from what you say he is saying. The man sounds sane!! Good for him.

I don’t see the point in sending people into Iraq if they have no proper freedom of movement or association and can’t therefore do their work properly. Maybe that is what he meant?

#16949 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

Another turn in live reports from Iraq. Correspondent Alex Crawford was talking live from Baghdad this morning, giving the summary on new Iraq leaders and latest car bomb, exploding this morning in the capital city.

I’m not sure whether David Bowden left Iraq this morning or was transfered to another location.

_______

Tanya

#16950 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

Lisa Holland is in Saudi Arabia now, anyway.

#16951 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Lisa Holland is in Saudi Arabia now, anyway.

Yes I saw the report she was doing about Arabia, I got the feeling that she was just voicing it though.

Did she do a live or finish a report off with ‘Lisa . . . . Saudi Arabia’?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: David Bowden
Your information: