Riz Lateef becomes the new face of BBC London News

Riz Lateef is to replace Emily Maitlis as the new face of BBC London News.

Maitlis, who held the role of main presenter of the programme since its launch, left BBC London in April to take up a new role on BBC News 24 and BBC Newsnight.

Lateef, who has been working on the programme since 2004 will present the programme each weeknight.

Before training as a journalist, Riz worked behind the scenes in broadcasting as a management consultant, but since then she’s reported and presented for the BBC’s regional news programme in the North East and Cumbria, BBC Breakfast News and BBC One’s Holiday Programme. Her potential was noticed by Broadcast Magazine when she was named as one of the television industry’s ‘young hotshots’.

Riz said “I am absolutely delighted. Although I’ve worked around the country I was born and brought up in London, so for me it’s a huge privilege. London is both an exciting and challenging place – what a great opportunity to play a part in that!”

Mike MacFarlane, BBC LONDON’s Executive Editor says, “Riz has developed as a top presentation talent and is quickly establishing herself as the face of modern London, we’re thrilled to have her at our station.”

Posted by on Thursday 19 October 2006
Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

BBC News Slides 2024

The BBC News Channel have started using news slides for their brief “across the UK and around the world” segments.

Missing Thumbnail

North West Today presenter Katie Walderman has posted a TikTok of BBC NWT’s temporary news set. Say goodbye to the