1st Viewing Figures for Sky News Ireland

Forums Forums TV Newsroom 1st Viewing Figures for Sky News Ireland

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Newsroom 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

SkyFanIreland
    Participant
    #16917 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

This is the release from SKY:

Sky News Ireland makes a positive start

Sky News Ireland today (Thursday 13 May) revealed its first viewing figures for its new evening bulletins.

Launched on Monday 10 May, the average viewership figures for the bulletins at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. for the first 3 days have almost tripled (29,000 viewers) compared to the average viewership for Sky News in the 4 months previously (Jan – April 2004 = 11,000 viewers). Its share of the total TV viewing audience at those times has tripled from 0.9 % (Jan- April) to 2.7%.

The peak audience for the dedicated news service to date (47,000 at 7 p.m. on Monday) represented a 4.8% audience share in all homes and 6% share of homes in which it is available (66% of all households). The terrestrial channels (RTE and TV3) are available in over 95% of all households).

Mark Deering, Director, Sky Ireland, said: “Sky News is a 24 hour news channel, not a bulletin sandwiched between entertainment on terrestrial TV. The service has been very well received by viewers and media in both Ireland and the UK and although it is too early to confirm trends, has enjoyed a significant week-on-week boost to its viewing figures. Our priority is to offer continuing quality to our subscribers, rather than simply ratings.”

Sky News Ireland has broadcast exclusive content every evening of the week so far.

* On Monday: Two reports; firstly an interview with Charlie McCreevy discussing a new Government policy to prevent overspending on major infrastructure projects. Also an insider’s view of the hotel President Bush will stay in during the Summit in June including a review of security anchored from the SkyCopter.

* On Tuesday: the first ever Irish viewing of footage featuring Irish soldiers in the Congo.

* On Wednesday: a preview of a major announcement to be made at Cannes by the Irish film industry.

The new programme has linked to Cork, Limerick, Dublin, Belfast, Drogheda and Tullamore.

Sky News Ireland has taken full advantage of the global newsgathering strength of Sky News. In the first days on air Sky News Ireland has broadcast specially commissioned reports from India on the smoking ban and the Cannes Film Festival. In the coming weeks further international commissions are planned.

In addition, Grainne Seoige has already linked up with Sky’s correspondents live in Washington, Cannes, London, and Jerusalem.

Ends.

Evening Herald Front Page Headline Reads:

[/size]SKY’S IRISH NEWS VENTURE BOMBS

[size=12]
    Bulletin Limps behind RTE and TV3

Says by Tuesday viewing had dropped from the 48,000 high on Monday to 22,000

Monday – RTE (six One) 364,000 viewers while the Nine had 402,000. TV3’s 17.30 had 132,000 and at 23:00 had 130,000.

Newsroom I’m not comparing them I’m just giving the highlights of the Herald story so don’t go off telling me again that I’m not comparing like with like. Really none of it is like with like as no two bulletins are on at the same time except sometimes N2’s and TV3’s

#16918 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Well that’s very interesting. I wonder if Sky are worried, pleased or indifferent to these results so far?

I don’t think the service was going to become the most watched news programme in Ireland this quick, and probably never will; surely that isn’t the aim.

On reflection, there must be some dissapointment with the results. I wonder if the other channel’s figures were dented as a result of SNI?

#16919 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Really none of it is like with like as no two bulletins are on at the same time except sometimes N2’s and TV3’s

Thanks for the figures…but for the record RTE NewsOnTwo has never been on before 10.35pm and TV3News Tonight ALWAYS starts @10.55pm

So,SNI,has started and finished before either of these bulletins(not giving out just letting ppl no)

#16920 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

TV3News Tonight ALWAYS starts @10.55pm

It’s now 11:03pm and TV 3 News Tonight is just about to start – 8 mins after your stated time.

You might let we know what dictionary you use to define ALWAYS

#16921 Reply

Steven
    Participant

It’s now 11:03pm and TV 3 News Tonight is just about to start – 8 mins after your stated time.

The point that Newsroom, quite clearly, was making was that SNI is over before TV3 bulliten begins.

There could be numorous reasons for it starting late.

#16922 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

The point that Newsroom, quite clearly, was making was that SNI is over before TV3 bulliten begins.

There could be numorous reasons for it starting late.

I understood the point that Newsroom was making about it starting after Sky News Ireland @ 10 has finished. I’m just being overly picky tonight about the use of the word “ALWAYS”, and the “late” start tonight is not unusual – the bulletin “normally” starts anytime from about 10.54 to 11.05. But at least you have a fair idea, unlike with that RTE News on 2 bulletin which has a totally different start-time every night, absolutely no consistency to it at all – it could be 10.48 tonight, 11.23 tomorrow, 11.06 Monday, 10.58 Tuesday, etc, etc. think you know what I mean!

#16923 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

However the RTE News on two is NOT ALLOWED start before 10.35pm or after 11.35pm-its to do with showing other programmes.

(I used to work there-long story)

TV3 News starts @10.55pm-that is wen it is scheduled to start;but yes SNI is over before either of TV3 or RTENEWS ON TWO 25min bulletins begin.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: 1st Viewing Figures for Sky News Ireland
Your information: